Carbon di-oxide Capture and Utilization, Clean Hydrogen Production
Energy and Environment Pollution and Green Technology
Biogas, Biodiesel, Bio-oil Production and Conversion to Commercial Green Fuel
Petrochemical Synthesis and Characterisation
Novel Catalyst Synthesis using Different Techniques, its Industrial Application
Hydrogen Production from Various Reforming Techniques.
Catalysis of Porous Materials.
University – Industry Partnership.
PhD in Engineering: University of Cambridge (January 2012 - July 2016): Energy Laboratory, Dept. of Engineering. Area: Carbon Capture, Clean Energy & H2 Production.
Topic: Development and Evaluation of Iron Oxide-based Oxygen Carriers for Chemical Looping Combustion and Hydrogen Production
Master’s of Science (M.S) in Applied Chemistry & Chemical Technology, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2002, Result: 1st class 1st
Bachelor of Science (4 Years Course) in Applied Chemistry & Chemical Technology, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2001, Result: 1st class 2nd
H.S.C: Chittagong College, Chittagong, Bangladesh, 1996.
S.S.C: Kalauzan Dr. Y. B. R. S. High School, Chittagong, Bangladesh, 1994.
Dec. 2010 - till date : Assistant Professor, Dept. of Applied Chemistry & Chemical Engineering, University of Dhaka
Apr. 2008 - Dec. 2010: Lecturer, Dept. of Applied Chemistry & Chemical Engineering, University of Dhaka
June 2006 - Apr. 2008: Scientific Officer, Bangladesh Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (BCSIR)
Apr. 2006 - June 2006: Research Fellow, Bangladesh Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (BCSIR)
Jan. 2004 - Jan. 2006: Research Fellow, Faculty of Science, INSIGHT (Research & Dev. Services)
Awards, Scholarships and Fellowships
2015, 2014: Pillman Award, Girton College, University of Cambridge, Ford of Britain Trust Award, Dept. of Engineering, Univ. of Cambridge
Royal Society of Chemistry Travel Award
2014 : Royal Society Award for Commonwealth Science Conference, India
2012 : IDB-Cambridge International Scholarship- covered PhD tuition fees and living costs
2009: TWAS, Italy Fellowship for Research & Advanced Training at TERI, India.
2007: TWAS, Italy Fellowship for Research & Advanced Training at TERI, India
2006: Prof. Mokarram Hossen Khondaker Memorial Fellowship from BCSIR
1995 -2002: Government scholarship during the Postgraduate, Graduate & H.S.C study.
M.S. (Graduate) Student thesis supervision:
1. Production of biodiesel from castor oil (Ricinus communis).
2. Production of bio-oil via vacuum pyrolysis of castor seedcake.
3. Bio-oil production from municipal solid waste & rice husk by pyrolysis & its characterization.
4. Study of the Bio-diesel production from Karanja (Pongamia pinnata) Oil and its co-ignition characteristics with commercial diesel.
5. Characterization and upgradation of indigenous clay minerals.
6. A study on the production of biodiesel from rubber seed oil (hevea brasiliensis).
B.Sc. (Undergraduate) Student project supervision:
1. Production & prospect of biodiesel in Bangladesh.
2. Production of bio-oil from MSW and its prospect in Bangladesh
3. Integrated production of sugar and ethanol from sugar cane.
4. Synthesis & possible modification technologies for Renitidine manufacture.
Academic Course teaches:
H-102: Chemical Engineering-I (Fundamentals of Chemical Engineering)
H- 203: Chemical Technology-III (Glass, Cement and Paint Technology)
H-301: Chemical Technology-III (Oil, Fat, Soap, Detergent and Dyes Technology)
H-304: Fuel Technology
H-408: Environmental Pollution and Industrial waste management
MS- 502: Energy conversion Engineering and Environment
MS- 508: Pharmaceutical Technology
MS- 503: Advanced Chemical Engineering Kinetics & Reactor Design
Training & Workshop
2015: “Leadership in Action” – By Research Development Office, University of Cambridge, June 15 -17, 2015.
2014 “European Carbon Capture & Storage Research & Development Workshop (ECCSRD), Cranfield University, UK, June 18, 2014.
2013: a) “Cambridge GRADschool for Researcher Development” at Wyboston Lakes (Organized by University of Cambridge), September 20 - 22, 2013.
b) “Enterprisers” at Wyboston Lakes (Organized by Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning, Judge Business School, Univ. of Cambridge), May 20 - 23, 2013.
2012 “Sustainable Energy Summer School” at University of Cambridge (organized by European Agency for Energy Security), August 26 - Sep.1, 2012.
2009: “Bio-oil Upgradation: Technical review to assess the merit of the processes” at TERI (The Energy & Resources Institute), India, 22/06/09 - 28/07/09.
2007: “Bio-oils from biomass and feasibility study of upgrading bio-oil to petro-fuels” at TERI, India, August 30 - December 29, 2007
2004: “Industrial process unit operation & process control techniques" at Training Institute for Chem. Inds. (TICI), Bangladesh, Aug. 29 - Sept. 28, 2004.
2003: In-plant training at Karnaphuli Paper Mills Ltd, Rangamati, Sep. 06 – Oct. 01, 2003.
Short in-plant trainings at:
Tabani Beverage (Coca-Cola) Company Ltd., Dhaka, Mimi Chocolate Industry Ltd., Dhaka, Savoy Ice-cream Industry Ltd., Dhaka, People Ceramic Industry, Gazipur. Global Capsule Ltd., Padma Caps & Glass Industry Ltd., Barishal, Opsonin Basic Chemicals Ltd, Opsonin Pharmaceutical Ltd. & Opso Saline Ltd., Eastern Refinery Ltd., Chittagong & Urea Fertilizer Ltd., Chittagong.
35. M. Ismail, F. Donat, W. Hu, E. Marek & S. A. Scott. Enhanced Performance of Ca-Al-O Modified Fe2O3 Oxygen Carriers for CO2 Capture and Production of H2 in CLC. Ind. & Eng. Chem. Res. submitted and under review, 27/11/2016; Manuscript ID iecr-2016-01281r
34. M. Ismail, W. Liu, M. T. Dunstan, S. A. Scott. Synthesis, Application and Carbonation Behaviour of Ca2Fe2O5 for Chemical Looping H2 Production. Energy & Fuels, 2016, 30 (8), pp 6220–6232; DOI: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b00631).
33. M. Chan, W. Liu, M. Ismail, Y. Yang, S. Scott, J. Dennis. Improving hydrogen yields, and hydrogen:steam ratio in the chemical looping production of hydrogen using Ca2Fe2O5. Chemical Engineering Journal, Volume 296, 15 July 2016, pp 406–411.
32. M. Ismail, W. Liu, M. T. Dunstan, S. A. Scott. Development and Performance of Iron Based Oxygen Carriers Containing Calcium Ferrites for Chemical Looping Combustion and Production of Hydrogen. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol 41, pp.4073-4084, 2016.
31. S. M. A. Sujan, M. S. Jamal, M. Hossain, M. Khanam and M. Ismail. Analysis of gas condensate and its different fractions of Bibiyana gas field to produce valuable products. Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. 50(1), pp.59-64, 2015.
30. W. Liu, M. Ismail, M. T. Dunstan, W. Hu, Z. Jhang, P. S. Fennell, S. A. Scott & J. S. Dennis. Inhibiting the interaction between FeO and Al2O3 during chemical looping production of hydrogen. RSC Advances, Vol 5 Issue-3, 2015, pp.1759-1771.
29. M. Ismail, W. Liu and S. A. Scott. The performance of Fe2O3-CaO Oxygen Carriers and the Interaction of Iron Oxides with CaO during Chemical Looping Combustion and H2 production, Energy Procedia, Vol. 63, 2014, pp. 87-97.
28. Islam M. S., Jamal M. S., Sujan S. M. A., Ismail M., Miah M. Y., Saha M. Bio-oil from pyrolysis of rice husk. Journal of Biofuels. Vol-2, Issue-1: p01-07, 2011. DOI: 10.5958/j.0976-3015.2.1.008.
27. M. Saiful Islam, M. Ismail, M. Saha & M.Y. Miah, Bio-oil from pyrolysis of bagasse. Dhaka Univ. J. A. Sci., Vol 2(1), 17-20, 2011(July).
26. A. F. M. M. Rahman, M. S. Reza, M. Ismail, M. Nurnabi and M. N. Haque. Production of biodiesel from Karanja (Pongamia Pinnata) oil and comparison of its fuel properties with commercial diesel. Dhaka Univ. J. A. Sci., Vol 2(1), 25-29, 2011(July).
25. M. Saha, B. S.Palma, D. Saha, M. A. Azim, S.T.A. Islam, M. Ismail &A. A. Rana, Reaction of p-Cresol with Indene in the Presence of Benzenesulphonic Acid. Dhaka Univ. J. A. Sci., Vol 2(1), 59-60, 2011(July).
24. M. Saha, B. S.Palma, S.T.A. Islam, D.Saha, M. A. Azim, Md. Ashaduzzaman & M. Ismail, Reaction of o-Cresol with Indene in the Presence of Benzenesulphonic Acid. Dhaka Univ. J. A. Sci., Vol 2(1), 83-84, 2011(July). (Short Communication).
23. M. Saha, M. Shahruzzaman, N. Sharmin, M. K. Hossain, M. T. U. Bhuyan, A. M. S. Chowdhury, D. Saha, M. Ismail & S. T. A. Islam. Application of experimental design to the reaction of o-cresol with cyclopentyl chloride. Dhaka Univ. J. Sci 59(1):109-116, 2011 (January).
22. M. Shahruzzaman, M. Saha, N. Sharmin, M. K. Hossain, M. T.U. Bhuyan, A. M. S. Chowdhury, D. Saha, M. Z. Alam & M. Ismail. “tert.-butylation of p-cresol with tert.-butyl chloride. Dhaka Univ. J. Sci 59(1):117-119, 2011 (January).
21. M. Shahruzzaman, M. Saha, N. Sharmin, M. K. Hossain, M. Galib, D. Saha, M. Z. Alam & M. Ismail, “tert.-Butylation of o-Cresol”, Dhaka Univ. J. A. Sci. & Eng., Vol.1(1), 37-42, 2010.
20. M. Saha, M. Shahruzzaman, N. Sharmin, M. K. Hossain, M. Galib, D. Saha, M. Ismail and S. T. A. Islam, “Application of Experimental Design to tert.-Methylcyclohexylation of p-Cresol”, Dhaka Univ. J. A. Sci. & Eng., Vol.1(1), 23-30, 2010.
19. M. Y. Miah, M. S. Islam S. K. Banik, M. S. Jamal, M. Ismail, M. Saha. Production Of Bio-Oil From Municipal Solid Waste By Pyrolysis. Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. V. 45(2) 91-94, 2010.
18. M. Galib, M, Saha, D. Saha, H.L.Paul, T.U. Bhuyan, M. Shahruzzaman & M. Ismail; “tert.-methylcyclohexylation of o-cresol with methylcyclohexanol in the presence of Sulphuric Acid”. Dhaka Univ. J. Sci 58(2):243-246, 2010 (July).
17. S.T.A. Islam, M, Saha, D. Saha, M. Ismail, M. Galib & N. Sharif, Application of statistical experimental design to benzylation of p-chlorophenol. Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res.Volume 45(2) 105-110, 2010.
16. S.T.A. Islam, M. Z. Alam, M. Ismail, M. Galib, N. Sharif, M. Saha. A statistical approach to alkylation of p-cresol with cyclopentanol. Asian Journal of Chemistry, India, Vol-22, No. 2(2010), 1245-1250.
15. M. S. Jamal, M. Ismail, M. Y. Miah, M. N. Haque, S. K. Banik, “Studies on the production of gasoline from Heavy oil (furnace oil) by thermal cracking. – Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. Vol 44(4), 473-478, 2009.
14. M. Galib, M.Z. Alam, D. Saha, M. Ismail, S.T.A. Islam, M, Saha. “Application of Plackett- Burman experimental design to tert.-methylcyclohexylation of p-chlorophenol.” Journal of Chemistry and Technology of fuels and oils, Springer Publication, U.S.A.Volume-45(5), p 336-342, 2009.
13. M. Asaduzzaman, M. Saha, S. T. A. Islam, M. Ismail, N. Sharif and M. Galib. “A mathematical model for the alkylation of o-cresol with cyclohexahol”. Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. 44(2), 181-186, 2009.
12. M. Ismail, M. A. Hanif, M. Galib and M. Saha. “tert.-butylation of toluene: A statistical study” - Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. 43(4) 541-548, 2008.
11. M. Ismail, M. Saha, M. N. A. Siddiky, M. Z. Alam and N. Sharif. “Reaction of Xylenes with tert.-Butylchloride in the Presence of Anhydrous Aluminium Chloride” - J Sci & Ind Res. (India). Vol 67, May 2008, pp 371-373
10. M. Ismail, M. H. Tareque, P. K. Chakrabarty, M. Asaduzzaman, B. S. Palma and M. Saha. “Benzylation of Phenol with Benzyl Alcohol in the Presence of Perchloric Acid” - Dhaka Univ. J. Sci 56 (2):175-177, 2008 (July).
9. M. Saha*, M. Ismail, H. C. Dey, M. Z. Karim & D. Saha “ Alkylation of Cresols with Cyclohexene in the Presence of p-Toluenesulphonic Acid” - Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. 43(2), 277-282, 2008.
8. M. Saha*, M. Ismail, H. C. Dey, M. Z. Karim & D. Saha. “Alkylation of Xylenes with Cyclohexene in the Presence of p-Toluenesulphonic Acid” Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. 42(4), 489-494, 2007.
7. M. Z. Karim, M. Ismail, S. T. A, Islam, D. Saha & M. Saha*, “Alkylation of m-Cresol with Cyclopentene in the Presence of p-Toluenesulphonic Acid” Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res 42(4), 499-502, 2007.
6. M. Nurnabi & M. Ismail, “Synthesis of biologically important chiral monopholine derivatives”. Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. 42 (2), 133-146, 2007.
5. M. Ismail, M. S. Jamal, S. T. A. Islam, Md. Z. Alam, Md. Ashaduzzaman & M. Saha. “A mathematical model for the benzylation of p-cresol with benzyl alcohol”-Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. 42(2), 187-194, 2007.
4. B. S. Palma, M. A. Azim, M. Ismail, D. Saha, Md. A. Kader and M. Saha. 'A Mathematical model for the indylation of m-Cresol with Indene in the presence of Benzenesulphonic Acid' Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. 42 (1),1-8, 2007.
3. M. H. Tareq, M. Ismail, S. T. Islam, M. Kamaruzzaman and M. Saha*. “Reaction of Xylenes with Benzyl chloride in the presence of anhydrous aluminum chloride.” Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. 41(3-4), 251-256, 2006.
2. M. H. Tareq, M. Ismail, P. Chakravarty, A. A. Rana & M. Saha*. “Benzylation of Phenol with Benzyl alcohol in the presence of Sulphuric Acid”. Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. 41(3-4), 257-261, 2006.
1. M. Ziaul Karim, M. Ismail, M. Kamaruzzaman and M. Saha*.“Alkylation of o-Cresol with Cyclopentene in the presence of p-Toluenesulphonic Acid”-Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res. 40(3-4), 331-336, 2005.
Selected Academic (Technical) Presentations:
2015: a) ‘Enhanced Performance of Ca-Al-O Modified Fe2O3 Oxygen carrier for CO2 Capture & H2 Production in CLC Formation’- 6th High Temperature Solid Looping Cycles Network Meeting, Milan, Italy, September 1 - 2, 2015
b) ‘Application & Carbonation of Di-calcium ferrite for Chemical Looping Combustion & H2 Production’ 1st Chemistry in Energy, Harriot Watt University, July 20 - 22, 2015
c) ‘Effect of Sodium in Alumina Supported Iron Oxide Oxygen Carriers for Carbon Capture & H2 Production’- 4th FETE conf., Duxford, UK, July 16, 2015
d) ‘Alumina Supported Iron Oxide Oxygen Carriers for Carbon Capture & Hydrogen Production via Chemical Looping Combustion in Coal Fired Power Plants’- IDB Scholars 2nd Scientific Symposium, Imperial College, May 26, 2015.
2014 a) The performance of Fe2O3-CaO oxygen carriers and the interaction of iron oxides with CaO during chemical looping combustion and reforming’-12th Int. Conf. on Greenhouse Gas Technologies, USA, October 5-9, 2014
b) ‘Fe- Based Oxygen Carriers Containing Ca-Ferrites for Chemical Looping Production of H2’- 3rd Int. Conf. on Chemical Looping, Sweden, 9-11 Sept.’14.
2013: ‘Calcium Oxide Stabilized Fe-based Inexpensive O2-carrier for Carbon Capture by Chemical Looping Combustion’ – 3rd FETE conf., Duxford, UK, July 18, 2013.
2012 ‘Mixed Oxide Oxygen Carriers for Chemical Looping Combustion of Coal’- Cambridge University Combustion Group Meeting, June 8, 2012.
2010: ‘Production of bio-fuel & reduction of environment pollution in Bangladesh’ at Afro-Asia Conclave of young Scientists. February11-13, 2010, Bangalore, India.
2008: ‘Bio-oil from Biodiesel Wastes & Other Biomass and its upgradation to Green Fuels’- Bi-monthly Scientific talk at BCSIR, February 14, 2008.
2007: Synthesis and parametric studies of industrially important benzylated & tert. butylated aromatic petrochemical compounds’- Monthly Sci. Talk at TERI, India, September 17, 2007.
2014: a) Iron Based Inexpensive Oxygen-Carrier for Carbon Capture & H2 Production in Coal Fired Power Plants- 1st Commonwealth Science Conference, Bengaluru, India, November 25 -28, 2014.
b) Development, Performance & Interaction Mechanism of Ca- ferrites Oxygen Carriers for Pure CO2 & H2 Production during Chemical Looping Combustion & Reforming, IDB Scholars 1st Scientific Symposium, University of Cambridge, May 22, 2014
2012: ‘Development and performance of inexpensive oxygen carrier for chemical looping combustion of coal’- 2nd FETE conf., Duxford, UK, July 11, 2012.
2009: Alkylation of isomeric cresols with α-methylstyrene”- 21st Bangladesh Sci. conf., Organized by Bangladesh Association for the Advancement of Science (BASS), February 18 – 20, 2009.
2008: “Bio-oil from bio-diesel waste and upgradation of bio-oil to green fuel” at Bio-vision Alexandria-2008, Egypt, April 11-16, 2008.
Other Attended Conferences
Interests, Responsibilities and Activities:
2014 - 2015: Vice- President, IDB Scholar Association, UK,
2013: Graduate Representative, Cambridge University Bangla Society
2102: Vice- President, Cambridge University Energy Network, Environment Officer, Girton College MCR, University of Cambridge
2011 - till date: Member, Chittagong Society, Dhaka, Chairman, Career Design Foundation, Bangladesh
2010: Publicity Officer, Satkania –Lohagara Society, Dhaka
2007 - 11: Chief Coordinator, Ex- Student Association, Kalauzan High School, Chittagong.