Name : Zeba I. Seraj
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Dhaka University, Dhaka, 1000, Bangladesh
Cell: +880-171-159-5576, Fax: +88(02) 9667222
Dhaka University Biochemistry B.S., 1980
Dhaka University Biochemistry M.S., 1982
Glasgow University Biochemistry Ph.D., 1986
Liverpool University Biochem and Mol. Biol. Post Doc: 1986-1987
Dec 1997 – to Present: Professor, Dept of Biochem and Mol. Biol., Dhaka University
Dec 1991 – Dec 1997: Assoc Professor, Dept. of Biochem and Mol Biol., Dhaka University
March 1988 – Dec 1991: Assist Professor, Dept. of Biochem and MolBiol, Dhaka University
January 1, 2015-December 31, 2017, Director, Center for Bioinformatics Learning and Advanced Systematics Training, under the University of Dhaka.
Oct 1, 2013-Sept 30, 2017: Visiting Researcher, Section of Integrative Biology, UT, Austin
Aug 15 2005-Dec 15, 2005: Visiting Researcher, Mol and Dev Cell Biol, Univ Texas at Austin
Aug 4-16, 2003: Visiting Scientist, USDA Research Station at Beaumont, Texas.
Aug 15-Sept 3, 2001: Cochran Fellow for current status of crop transformation, Washington DC.
Jan 02-March 31, 1998: Visiting Scientist, IRRI, Plant Molecular Biology Laboratory
May 1986-July 1987: Post Doctoral Fellow, Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Liverpool, UK
(i) Dr. Autar K. Mattoo, USDA-ARS, Beltsville, Dr. Abdelbagi M. Ismail and Dr. Sigrid Heuer, IRRI; Dr. Thomas Juenger, UT, Austin, Dr. Narendra Tuteja and Dr. SnehLataSingla-Pareek, ICGEB, India.
(iii) Thesis Advisor and Postgraduate Sponsor: Current – Six PhD students; MS Rahman on Marker-assisted backcrossing for introgression of Saltolto mega rice varieties (submitted May, 2016), Malo R, jointly with Dr. Sigrid Heuer, IRRI, on heat Tolerance (ready to submit); Rumana S. Tammi (Assist. Prof. BMBJNU): Characterization of SNAC1 transgenic plants, Sumaiya F. Khan (Associate Prof., BMB, Jagannath Univ.) and Sabrina M. Elias (MBBISP fellow, USA) on different populations of a salt tolerant rice landrace, Horkuch. Graduated – Three Ph.D. students from Dhaka University. Rokeya Begum: 2013- ‘Sequence variation in specific genes among modern rice varieties, landraces, and farmer-selected variants’. Current Affiliation: Scientific Officer, Center for Advanced Research in Sciences. Noorain M. Rasul, 2005: ‘Isolation and Characterization of Vacuolar OsNHX1 and its Expression in Transgenic Rice’, current affiliation Apex Biotech, Shafipur, Bangladesh. Laisa A. Lisa, 2006: ‘Molecular Investigation on Salt Tolerance of Coastal Rice Landraces at Reproductive and Seedling Stages’. Current affiliation: Professor, BMB, Jagannath University, Bangladesh. More than 60 Masters students graduated with thesis.
Complete List of Publications (International in blue and bold):
1. SaimaShahid, Rokeya Begum, SamsadRazzaque, Jesmin, Zeba I. Seraj (2016). Variability in amylose content of Bangladeshi rice cultivars due to unique SNPs in Waxy allele. Journal of Cereal Science 71: 1-9. (Elsevier) DOI: 10.1016/j.jcs.2016.07.006.
2. Razzaque, S., Khan, S. F., Jewel, N. A., Haque, T., Elias, S. M, Rahman, S., Seraj, Z. I. 2016. Genetic Analysis of SSR Markers in F2Reciprocal Populations of the Rice genotypes, Horkuch and IR29 show high segregation distortion. BioresComm2 (2), 219-229.
3. F Yasmin, S Biswas, GMNA Jewel, SM Elias, ZI Seraj (2015). Constitutive Overexpression of the Plasma Membrane Na+/H+ Antiporter for Conferring Salinity Tolerance in Rice. Plant Tissue Culture and Biotechnology 25 (2), 257-272
4. USM Amin, S Biswas, SM Elias, S Razzaque, T Haque, R Malo, ZI Seraj (2016).Enhanced Salt Tolerance Conferred by the Complete 2.3 kb cDNA of the Rice Vacuolar Na+/H+ Antiporter Gene Compared to 1.9 kb Coding Region with 5′ UTR in Transgenic Lines of Rice. Frontiers in plant science 7.http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.00014
5. S Sarker, S Biswas, MA Shahed, ARazzaque, ZI Seraj (2016). Cloning, characterization and analysis of the Arabidopsis RD29A promoter for its inducible expression in rice under salinity and drought stress.Biorescomm 2 (1), 139-145.
6. S Parvin, S Biswas, S Razzaque, T Haque, SM Elias, RS Tammi and ZI Seraj (2015). Salinity and drought tolerance conferred by in planta transformation of SNAC1 transcription factor into a high-yielding rice variety of Bangladesh. Plantarum 37:68.DOI 10.1007/s11738-015-1817-8
7. S Biswas, S Razzaque, SM Elias, USM Amin, T Haque, SMT Islam, Lisa LA, Naznin F, Rasul NM and Seraj ZI (2015). Effect of the vacuolar Na+/H+ antiporter transgene in a rice landrace and a commercial rice cultivar after its insertion by crossing .ActaPhysiologiaePlantarum 37: 1730. DOI 10.1007/s11738-014-1730-6.
8. Razzaque, S., Chakraborty, D., Tammi, R.S., Elias, S.M., Seraj, Z.I. and Islam, A. (2014) Cloning of Three Antiporter Genes from Arabidopsis and Rice for Over-Expressing Them in Farmer Popular Tomato Varieties of Bangladesh. American Journal of Plant Sciences, 5, 3957-3963. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/ajps.2014.526414
9. Yesmin N, Elias SM, Rahman MS, Hasan AKMM and Serak ZI (2014). “Unique genotypic differences discovered among indigenous Bangladeshi Rice Landraces”. Int J Genomics. Article ID: 210328. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/210328
10. Khan MK, Zaman S, Chakraborty S, Chakravorty R, Alam MM, BhuiyanTR, Rahman MJ, Fernandez C, Qadri F and Seraj ZI (2014). “In silico predicted mycobacterial epitope elicits in vitro T-cell responses”. Mol. Immunol 61: 16-22. Elsevier. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.molimm.2014.04.009
11. Elias SM, Begum R, Rahman MR, Ferdouse A, Shozib HB, Ali MM and Seraj ZI (2015). “Genotypic and phenotypic relatedness of a farmer-discovered variant with high yielding rice growing in the same field”. Plant Systematics and Evolution. 301 (1), 451-465. Springer. DOI: 10.1007/s00606-014-1085-x
12. Mohammad Arif Ashraf, Sudip Biswas, SamsadRazzaque, TaslimaHaque and Zeba I Seraj (2014).Cloning and Characterization of Alcohol Dehydrogenase (Adh) Promoter Region for Expression Under Submergence and Salinity Stress. Plant Tissue Cult& Biotech 24: 111-120.
13. Mahzabin Amin, Sabrina M. Elias, Alamgeer Hossain, Aliya Ferdousi, Md. Sazzadur Rahman, Narendra Tuteja and Zeba I. Seraj (2012). "Overexpression of a DEAD box helicase, PDH45, confers both seedling and reproductive stage salinity tolerance to rice ( Oryza sativa L.)" Molecular Breeding 30: 345-354. DOI 10.1007/s11032-011-9625-3
14. Sabrina M. Elias, A. K. M. Mahbub Hasan and Zeba I. Seraj (2011). Microsatellite marker diversity and sequence polymorphism in the red gene locus of indigenous rice populations of Bangladesh. Plant SystEvol. 296:157-165. DOI 10.1007/s00606-011-0482-7
15. Laisa A. Lisa, Sabrina M. Elias, M. Sazzadur Rahman, SaimaShahid, Tetsushi Iwasaki, Mahbub Hasan, Keiko Kosuge, YasuoFukami and Zeba I. Seraj (2011). Physiology and gene expression of the rice landrace Horkuch under salt stress. Functional Plant Biology, 38: 282-292
16. RejbanaAlam, M. Sazzadur Rahman, Zeba I. Seraj, Michael J. Thomson, Abdelbagi M. Ismail, Ellen Tumimbang-Raiz and Glenn B. Gregorio (2011). (Alam et al., 2011). Plant Breeding 130: 430-437. doi:10.1111/j.1439-0523.2010.01837. Wiley Blackwell publications.
17. SaimaShahid, Sabrina M. Elias, Sudip Biswas, Zeba I. Seraj (2010). READS- a resource for plant non-coding regulatory sequence analysis. Plant Tissue Cult & Biotech. 20: 211-223
18. Michael J. Thomson, Marjorie de Ocampo, James Egdane, M. Akhlasur Rahman, Andres Godwin Sajise, Dante L. Adorada, Ellen Tumimbang-Raiz, Eduardo Blumwald, Zeba I. Seraj, Rakesh K. Singh, Glenn B. Gregorio and Abdelbagi M. Ismail (2010). Characterizing the Saltol Quantitative Trait Locus for Salinity Tolerance in Rice. Rice 3:148-160
19. M Sazzadur Rahman, Keshob C Das, Dipok K Das, Kuntal Biswas, MBadrul H Chowdhury, Nilufer H Karim, MAbdus Salam and Zeba I Seraj (2010). Breeding and anther-derived lines of rice for saline coastal areas of Bangladesh Bang J Bot 39: 71-78.
20. S.M. Touhidul Islam, R.S. Tammi, Sneh L Singla-Pareek, Z.I. Seraj (2010). Enhanced Salinity Tolerance and improved yield properties in Bangladeshi rice Binnatoa through Agrobacterium Mediated Transformation of PgNHX1 from Pennisetumglaucum. ActaPhysiol Plant 32: 657-663.
21. SM Touhidul Islam, Rumana S. Tammi, Richard Malo, Mahzabin Amin, M. Sazzadur Rahman, Sabrina M. Elias and Zeba I. Seraj (2009). Constitutive expression of OsNHX1 under the promoter Actin1D can improve the tolerance and yield characteristics of Bangladeshi rice Binnatoa in salt stress. Australian J. of Crop Sci 3: 329-335.
22. SM Touhidul Islam, Rumana S Tammi, Sneh_LataSingla-Pareek and Zeba I Seraj (2009) Agrobacterium-mediated Transformation and Constitutive Expression of PgNHX1 from Pennisetumglaucum L in Oryza sativa L cv Binnatoa Plant Tissue Cult& Biotech 19: 25-33.
23. SM Touhidul Islam and Zeba I Seraj (2009) Vacuolar Na+/H+ antiporter expression and salt tolerance conferred by actin1D and CaMV35S are similar in transgenic Binnatoa rice Plant Tissue Cult & Biotech 19: 257-262.
24. Laisa A Lisa, Zeba I Seraj, C M FazleElahi, Keshob C Das, Kuntal Biswas, M Rafiqul Islam, M Abdus Salam and A R Gomosta (2004). Genetic variation in microsatellite DNA, physiology and morphology of coastal saline rice (Oryza sativa L) landraces of Bangladesh Plant & Soil 263 (1-2): 213-228 Kluwer Academic
25. Tumimbang EB, Adorada DL, Nunez J, Elahi F, Seraj ZI, Dvorjak J and Gregorio GB (2002). Developing near isogenic lines to fine map salinity tolerance genes in chromosome 1. In Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biochemistry Annual Report, International Rice Research Institute Publication.
26. Seraj ZI and Salam MA (2000) Growing rice in saline soils: biotechnological approaches for Bangladesh Asia-Pacific Tech Monitor 17 (6): 55-59.
27. Sarker RH, Islam MN, Islam A andSeraj ZI (2000).Agrobacterium-mediated genetic transformation of peanut (Arachis hypogea L.).Plant Tiss. Cult. 10:137-142.
28. Islam MR, Khan MH, Zohra FT, Hossain MR &Seraj ZI (1999). Stable transformation of jute (CorchoruscapsularisL. CVL-1) calli and high efficiency marker gene insertion in explants. Plant Tiss. Cult. 9: 53-61.
29. Keya C., Seraj Z I, and Mahmood S (1999) Restriction Fragment LengthPolymorphism (RFLP) between Porteresiacoarctata and traditional Salt Tolerant rice varieties (Oryza sativa). Suppl. Issue Dhaka University J. of Biological Sciences 8:17-24.
30. Faruque MO, Farzana T,Seraj ZI, Sarker R H and Khatun A A (1998)Variation in green plant regeneratin response from anthers of indica rice and their hybrids with japonica cv Taipei 309 Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 54: 191-195.
31. Seraj Z I, Islam Z, Faruque M O, Devi T and Ahmed S (1997) Identification of the regeneration potential of embryo derived calluses from various Indica rice varieties Plant Cell, Tissue,Organ Culture 48: 9-13.
32. Ali MM, Islam Z, Ali, KM, Rasul NM, FarzanaT.Faruque MO and Seraj Z I and Mahmud I (1997). Relationship of glyoxalase-1 activity with regeneration potential of embryo-derived rice callus. Bangladesh. J. Biochem. 3:87-93.
33. Rasul NM, Ali KM, Islam R and Seraj Z I, (1997) Transformation of an Indica Rice Cultivar Binnatoa with Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Plant Tissue Cult 7:71-80.
34. Seraj Z I ,Faruque M O, Hossain K G,Sarker R H, Devi T, Islam Z and Islam A S (1996) Attempted Wide Hybridization between Oryza sativa L and Porteresiacoarctata T International Rice Research Notes 21 (nos 2-3), 35.
35. Seraj Z I ,Mahmood S, FarzanaM and Amara U.(1996). Detection of single copyhomologous genomic DNA by the non radioactive enhanced Chemiluminescence method. Bangladesh J. of Biochem 2:1-7
36. Seraj Z I ,Motaleb M A, Hossain GMF, Huq E,Rahman M, Samad M A and Hossain M A (1995) Study of homology between salt tolerant Porteresia coarctata and Oryza sativa through analysis of protein, isozyme and DNA patterns Dhaka university J of BiolSci 4 91-97
37. Talukder A H, Hossain GMF, Akhter M, Islam Z, Seraj Z I,and Hossain MA (1995). Salinity Tolerance Index of six Oryza sativa L. Indica land races of Bangladesh. Dhaka University J. of Biol. Sciences 4 : 81-83
38. Sarker R H, Samad M A, Seraj Z I, Hoque M I and Islam A S (1993) Post pollination development of pollen tube following intergeneric cross, P coarctata x Osativa var BR-9 with fluorescent microscopy Euphytica 69 : 129-134
39. SerajZ I, , Sarker A B and Islam A S (1992). Plant regeneration in a jute species (C. capsularis) and its possible relationship with glyoxalase.Plant Cell Reports 12 : 29-33.
40. Halder S K and Seraj Z I (1992) Cell suspension cultures in three varieties of jute. Plant Tissue Culture 2: 15-20
41. Seraj Z I, ,Samad M A and Talukder A H (1992) Comparative study of protein and esterase profiles of wild salt tolerant rice with local and high yielding cultivars. Dhaka University Studies 7, Part E : 65-70.
44. Abdullah-Al-Emran, Richard Malo, Mahzabin Amin, Debashis Chakraborty, Aliya Ferdousi and Zeba I. Seraj - Cloning and Transformation of the Transcription Factor SNAC1 from Rice (Oryza sativa L.) Landrace Pokkali In: Role of Biotechnology in Food Security and Climate Change. Islam AS, Haque MM, Sarker RH and Hoque MI (Eds). Proc. Sixth Intl. Plant Tissue Cult. & Biotech. Conf., December 3‐5, 2010, Bangladesh Assoc. Plant Tissue Cult. & Biotech. Dhaka, Bangladesh. pp. 155‐164.
45. Hossain MB, Khan MH, Choudhury EH, Zohra FT, Seraj ZI, Khan H and Sarker RH (1999). Transformation of Jute (CorchoruscapsularisL. vars. CVL-1 and D-154) with the plasmids pCAMBIA 1201, pBI121 and pBINCHI.11 and high efficiencuy marker gene insertion in explants. In Proc. of the workshop on Application of Biotechnology in the Improvement of Jute, Kenaf and Allied Fibers-PhaseII, Haikou, China, 15-17 December. Intl. Jute Organ. publication, pp28-38
46. Haseena Khan, Zeba I. Seraj, Rakha Hari Sarker, LaisKhandekar, Selina Begum, Nazir Hossain, K. Mohammad Ali, M. Bakhtiar Hossain, FatemaTuz Zohra, SamiulHaque and Shamim Hossain (2000). Potential Improvement of Jute by Biotechnological Approaches. In Proc. of the -18. workshop on Application of Biotechnology in the Improvement of Jute, Kenaf and Allied Fibers-PhaseII, Beijing, China, Aug. 10-12, 2000,pp 7