|Name||Dr. Tahmina Islam|
|Last Degree||M.S. (DU), Ph.D. (India)|
Department of Botany,
University of Dhaka,
Cell phone: 0088-01515265079
Fax : 880-02-9667222
As a plant molecular biologist, I have great interest in the various aspects of plant response towards stresses and unravel the underlying molecular mechanisms behind the response. The complex mechanism of stress response from perceiving to ultimate action wonders me as a molecular biology researcher. I have great interest on different pathways that are affected by the stresses and how the pathways interlinked each other to provide the ultimately tolerance or sensitivity. I also have interest in the plant developmental biology and gene silencing technology to know the dynamic process of plant maturation and stage differentiation.
Institution: Department of Botany, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Institution: Department of Botany, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Institution: International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, New Delhi, India.
Project: Development of abiotic stress tolerant rice plant by overexpressing of stress responsive genes
Research supervisor: Dr. M.K.Reddy
Institution: Plant Breeding and Biotechnology Lab, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Project: Development of fungal resistant peanut variety through Agrobacterium-mediated genetic transformation.
Research supervisor: Prof. Md. Imdadul Haque
Institute: International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, New Delhi, India
Thesis title: “Molecular cloning and characterization of a novel glutathione peroxidase gene from Pennisetum glaucum and its functional validation in rice under abiotic stresses”.
Supervisor: Dr. M.K.Reddy
Institute: Department of Botany, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
Thesis title: “In vitro regeneration and molecular characterization of indigenous aromatic rice (Oryza sativa L.) of Bangladesh”
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Rakha Hari Sarker
Institute: Department of Botany, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Major courses: Plant Tissue Culture, Plant Breeding, Plant Pathology, Plant Physiology, Genetics,
Molecular Genetics, Microbiology, Cytogenetics, Cytology.
Minor courses: Biochemistry, Soil science, Bio-statistics.
Scholarships and Awards
Purpose: To complete Ph.D. research
Awarding body: International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB)
Purpose: To recognize overall academic excellence, class attendance, and good behavior
Awarding body: Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh (April 2011)
Purpose: To recognize excellence in MSc research
Awarding body: Ministry of Sceince and Technology, The Government of People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
1. Islam T, Ghosh A (2018) Genome-wide dissection and expression profiling of unique glyoxalase III genes in soybean reveal the differential pattern of transcriptional regulation. Scientific Reports, Nature communications, 8:4848
2. Ghosh A, Shah ANA, Jui ZS, Saha S, Fariha AA, Islam T. (2018). Evolutionary variation and expression profiling of Isopentenyl transferase gene family in Arabidopsis thaliana L. and Oryza sativa L. Plant Gene. 15:15-27
3. Mitra S, Islam T, Sarker RH, Hoque MI (2017). RAPD Profile Analysis of Single and Multigrain Aman Rice (Oryza sativa L.) Varieties Available in Bangladesh. Plant Tissue Culture & Biotechnology. 27(2): 195-205
4. Islam T, Rahman S, Hoque MI, Sarker RH (2017) Genetic Diversity Assessment in Ten Aromatic Rice Varieties of Bangladesh. Plant Tissue Culture & Biotechnology. 27(2): 217-225
5) Islam O., Rahman I.A., Islam T., Ghosh A. (2017) Genome-wide identification and expression analysis of Glutathione S-transferase gene family in tomato: gaining an insight to their physiological and stress specific roles. PLOS ONE. 12(11): e0187504.
6) Islam O., Choudhury M., Majlish A.K., Islam T., Ghosh A. (2017) Comprehensive genome-wide analysis of Glutathione S-transferase gene family in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) and their expression profiling in various anatomical tissues and perturbation conditions. Gene. 369:149-162
7) Khan T, Mahbub MA, Mitra S, Ali NM, Biswas A, Islam T, Saha ML (2017). Rhizosphere Associated Bacteria and Soil Physico-chemical Properties of Tea Garden. Bangladesh Journal of Botany 46(4):1389-1396
8) Aktar L., Khan FI., Islam T., Mitra S., Saha ML. (2016) Isolation and Characterization of Indigenous Lipase Producing Bacteria from Lipid‐rich Environment. Plant Tissue Culture & Biotechnology. 26(2): 243‐253
9) Ghosh A., Islam T. (2016) Genome-wide analysis and expression profiling of glyoxalase gene families in soybean (Glycine max) indicates their development and abiotic stress specific response. BMC Plant Biology, 16:87.
10) Manna M., Achary V. M. M., Islam T., Reddy M. K. (2016) The development of a phosphate-mediated fertilization and weed control system for rice. Scientific Reports. DOI: 10.1038/srep24941.
11) Islam T., Manna M., Reddy M.K. (2015) Glutathione Peroxidase of Pennisetum glaucum (PgGPx) Is a Functional Cd2+ Dependent Peroxiredoxin that Enhances Tolerance against Salinity and Drought Stress. Plos One DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0143344.
12) Islam T., Manna M., Pandey S, Reddy M.K., Kaul T. (2015) Genome wide dissection of Arabidopsis and rice for the identification and expression analysis of Glutathione peroxidases reveals their stress-specific and overlapping response patterns. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 01/2015; DOI:10.1007/s11105-014-0846-6.
13) Reddy C.S., Lakshmi M.V., Islam T., Kaul T., Reddy M.K. (2015) Improving flavour and quality of tomatoes by expression of synthetic gene encoding sweet protein monellin. Molecular Biotechnology 57(5): 448-453.
14) Manna M., Islam T., Kaul T., Reddy C.S., Fartyal D., James D., Reddy M. K. (2015) A comparative study of effects of increasing concentrations of phosphate and phosphite on rice seedlings. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 37:258.
15) Achary V. M. M., Reddy C.S., Pandey P., Islam T., Kaul T., Reddy M. K. (2014) Glutathione reductase a unique enzyme: molecular cloning, expression and biochemical characterization from the stress adapted C4 plant, Pennisetum glaucum. Molecular Biology reports DOI:10.1007/s11033-014-3832-z.
Manuscripts under review
1) Shah N.A., Arabia S., Islam T., Ghosh A. (2018) Characterization and expression profiling of plant SUN domain-containing transcripts reveal their development and stress-specific regulation. Frontiers in Plant Sceince.
1) Identification and characterization of the potential stress responsive promoter of OsGPx gene of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Funding body- Biotechnology Research Centre, University of Dhaka, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh
2) Analysis of Genetic Variability of Oilseed Brassica Genotypes Using Molecular Markers for Their Exploitation in Breeding Programme. Funding body- Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of the peoples Republic of Bangladesh.
3) Development of Tissue Culture-Independent In Planta Transformation System for Peanut (Arachis Hypogaea L.). Funding body- University Grants Commissions, Government of the peoples Republic of Bangladesh.
4) Assessment of genetic variation in oilseed Brassica spp. genotypes of Bangladesh using molecular markers and analysis of their seed protein profiles. Funding body- University Grants Commissions, Government of the peoples Republic of Bangladesh.
Father’s Name: Salim Parves
Mother’s Name: Jahanara Islam
Date of birth: 3rd January 1987
Blood Group: O (+ve)