Lecturer, Mycology and Plant Pathology Laboratory
Department of Botany, University of Dhaka.
Cell no.: +88-01721311923, +88-01684192948
Name : Sarowar Hosen
Father’s Name : Keramat Ali Howlader
Mother’s Name : Selina Begum
Date of Birth : 07 July 1991
Permanent Address : Village: Molladi Bajitpur, Post: Bajitpur,
Upazilla: Rajoir, Dist.: Madaripur, Division: Dhaka
Present Address : 3/5/A, Chankharpul Lane, Bangshal, Dhaka
Blood Group : O+ve
Nationality : Bangladeshi
Marital Status : Single
Sex : Male
Religion : Islam
: Ghatakchar High School
Passing Year: 2006.
Result: GPA 4.88
: Govt. Nazimuddin College
Passing Year: 2008
Result: GPA 5.00
: University of Dhaka
Passing Year: 2013
Result: CGPA 3.96 out of 4.00 scale (1st class 1st)
: University of Dhaka
Passing Year: 2014
Result: CGPA 4.00 out of 4.00 (1st class 1st)
- Isolation, morphological and molecular identification of fungi associated with different hosts.
- Molecular identification of plant pathogens associated with different diseases of
- cereal crops (wheat, rice, maize, etc.) and vegetables (potato, tomato, etc.).
- Taxonomy and biology of fungal plant pathogens.
- Control of pathogens with fungicides, plant extracts and biological agents.
Research Projects (completed):
- Special Allocation 2016-2017, Ministry of Sciences and Technology, Govt. of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh. Pincipal Investigator: Prof. Dr. Shamim Shamsi and Associate Investigator: Sarowar Hosen. Title: Identification and management of seed borne fungi associated with selected BRRI rice varieties.
- University Grants Commission financed research grants in the year 2017-18. Investigator: Sarowar Hosen. Project Title: Isolation, characterization, molecular identification and in vitro management of pathogenic fungi of leaf blight of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.).
Academic award & Scholarships:
- Secured academic award of merit for the first position in each year of B. S. (Honrs.) examination.
- Awarded “Gold Medal” for securing first position in B. S. (Hons.) Examination by the Department of Botany, Dhaka University.
- Obtained NST Fellowship from MOST, the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh for M. S. research.
- Obtained EBL-DUAA (Eastern Bank Limited & Dhaka University Alumni Association) Scholarship 2010-11 and 2011-12.
Member of Organization/Association:
- Bangladesh Botanical Society (BBS)
- Dhaka University Botany Alumni Association (DUBAA)
Excursion or Study Tour:
- Departmental tour in National Mushroom Development and Extension Centre (NAMDEC), Sobhanbag, Savar, Dhaka-1340, Bangladesh. Department of Agricultural Extension, Ministry of Agriculture.
- Departmental tour in Salban Bihar, Mainamati, Comilla, Bangladesh.
- Departmental tour in Chittagong Hill Tracts, Khagrachari, Chittagong, Bangladesh.
- Departmental tour in Sylhet-Moulovibazar-Sreemongal.
- Workshop on “National Integrity, Service Delivery and Good Governance”, Ministry of Planning, The Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
- Canola (Brassica napus) Molecular Breeding-Research at University of Alberta, Canada. Speaker: Dr. Habibur Rahman, University of Alberta, Canada. 20 July 2016. Organized by Chromosome Research Centre, University of Dhaka.
- 7th International Tissue Culture and Biotechnology Conference, Department of Botany, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2014 (March).
- 6th International Botanical Conference, 6-7 December, 2014, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Organized by Bangladesh Botanical Society. Theme: “Role of Botanist in Global Climate Change”.
- Annual Botanical Conference, 4-5 December, 2015, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Organized by Department of Botany, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Jahangirnagar University, Savar, Dhaka-1342, Bangladesh and Bangladesh Botanical Society. Theme: “Plant Sciences: Challenges and Opportunities”.
- 9th Biennial Bangladesh Phytopathological Conference, 19 February 2016, Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute, Gazipur. Organized by Bangladesh Phytopathological Society. Theme: “Challenges ahead to Pathologists for the changed plant disease scenario due to climate change”.
- 7th `International Botanical Conference 2017, 3-4 February 2018, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Organized by Bangladesh Botanical Society. Theme: “Plant Diversity – Food security and environmental management”.
List of Publications:
- Hosen S, Shamsi S and Bashar MA 2016. In vitro biological control of Colletotrichum gloeosporiodes (Penz.) Sacc. and Sclerotium rolfsii Sacc., causal agent of anthracnose and soft rot of Corchorus capsularis L. Bangladesh J. Bot. 45(1): 175-180.
- Hosen S, Shamsi S and Bashar MA 2016. In vitro efficacy of fungicides and plant extracts on the growth of Colletotrichum gloeosporioides (Penz.) Penz. & Sacc. and Sclerotium rolfsii Sacc. the causal organisms of anthracnose and soft rot of jute. Dhaka Univ. J. Bio. Sci. 25(2):195-199.
- Shamsi S and Hosen S 2016. New record of Monochaetia karstenii var. gallica (Stey.) Sutton on Brassica napus L. from Bangladesh. J. Asiat. Soc. Bangladesh, Sci. 42(1):127-128.
- Shamsi S, Hosen S, Manun MA and Begum M 2016. Report on mycoflora associated with infected fruits of Momordica cochinchinensis (Lour.) Spreng. Bangladesh J. Plant Taxon. 23(2): 181-188.
- Shamsi S and Hosen S 2016. Mycoflora associated with fruit rot of custard apple (Annona squamosa L.). Bangladesh J. Sci. Res. 29(2):173-176.
- Shamsi S and Hosen S 2016. Report on mycoflora associated with infected stems and capsules of Nigella sativa L. (Black Cumin). Bioresearch Communications 3(1): 298-301.
- Islam MA, Shamsi S, Hosen S and Bashar MA 2017. In vitro effect of five plant extracts and five fungicides on Fusarium oxysporum Schlecht. and F. solani (Mart.) Sacc. causal agent of brinjal (Solanum melongena L.) wilt. Dhaka Univ. J. Bio. Sci. 26(1): 39-44.
- Al-Ameen M, Shamsi S, Hosen S and Bashar MA 2017. Antagonistic potentiality of four soil fungi against pathogenic fungi associated with infected fruits of Musa sapientum L.” Bangladesh J. Bot. 46(2): 733-738.
- Shamsi S, Hosen S and Begum M 2017. New record of Gonatophragmium mori (Sawada) Deighton on Ficus hispida L. from Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Plant Taxon. 24(1): 125-127.
- Miah A, Shamsi S, Hosen S and Morshed MS 2017. In vitro efficacy of plant extracts on seed germination and fungal infection of six varieties of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Bioresearch Communications 3(2): 415-421.
- Nasim ASM, Hosen S and Bashar MA 2017. Incidence of diseases in germplasms of corchorus olitorius L. and control of fungal pathogens. Dhaka Univ. J. Bio. Sci. 26(2): 189-198.