Dr. Muhammad Kamruzzaman Mozumder
Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Dhaka. Dhaka -1000, Bangladesh
Phone: +880-2-9661900 ext. 7800 Cell. +8801713066423 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Clinical Psychology,
University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Associate Professor at the Dept. of Clinical Psychology: Teaching and supervising research and clinical work.
Member: Ethical Review Committee, icddr,b Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Member: Biological Science Faculty Ethics Committee, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Ph.D. : 'Cognitive Determinants of Racial Prejudice.'
School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Monash University, 2013.
M.Phil. : 'Development of a Scale of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder'
Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Dhaka, 2005.
M.Sc. : Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Dhaka, 2001.
B.Sc. (Hons.) : Department of Psychology, University of Dhaka, 2000.
- Mozumder, M. K. (2017). Validation of Bengali perceived stress scale among LGBT population. BMC Psychiatry, 17(1), 314. doi: 10.1186/s12888-017-1482-0
- Mozumder, M. K. & Haque, S. (2015). Stereotypical thoughts and perceptions among Chakma and Settler Bengalis in Southeastern Bangladesh. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology, 21(2), 285.
- Miah, M. A., Al-Mamun, M. A., Khan S., & Mozumder, M. K. (2015) Sexual Myths and Behavior of Male Patients with Psychosexual Dysfunction in Bangladesh. The Dhaka University Journal of Psychology, 39, 89-100.
- Gayen, T. K. & Mozumder, M. K. (2011). Burnout among the Clinical Psychological Service Providers of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Psychological Studies, 21, 75-90.
- Kaly, A., Mozumder, M. K., Rahman, M. M. & Parveen, Z. (2010). Clinical Psychology Service at Non-medical Setup: Service Development and Profile of Clients Attending Students Guidance and Counseling Center of University of Dhaka. The Dhaka University Journal of Psychology, 34, 1-11.
- Mozumder, M. K. & Begum, R. (2008). Symptomatology of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Psychological Studies, 18, 1-10.
- Mozumder, M. K. (2007). Implementation of Cognitive Behavior Therapy in the Treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in Bangladesh: A Case Study. Bangladesh Psychological Studies, 17, 37-48.
- Uddin, Z. M., Miah, M. A. A., Mozumder, M. K., Begum, H. A., Karim, E. & Firoz, A.H.M. (2007). A survey of knowledge about HIV/AIDS among educated dwellers of Dhaka city. Bangladesh Journal of Psychiatry, 21(1), 17-27.
- Mozumder, M. K. & Begum, R. (2007) Relationship between socio-demographic variables and obsessive compulsive disorder. Pakistan Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 5(1), 3-14.
- Deeba, F. & Mozumder, M. K. (2006). Psychological service analysis for victims of violence against women in Bangladesh: A nationwide survey. Bangladesh Psychological Studies, 16, 1-12.
- Mozumder, M. K. & Begum, R. (2005). Development of a scale of obsessive compulsive disorder and assessment of its psychometric properties. Bangladesh Psychological Studies, 15, 115-131.
- Mozumder, M. K. & Rahman, M. M. (2004). A prevalence study of various male psycho-sexual dysfunctions and problems among individuals attending psychological services in a sex therapy clinic. Bangladesh Psychological Studies, 14, 71-88.
- Haque, M. & Mozumder, M. K. (2000). Relationship of values between two generations. The Bangladesh Journal of Psychology, 18, 97-107.
PAPERS SUBMITTED FOR PUBLICATION
- Haque, S., Mozumder, M. K. Park, M. S., Bonn, G. B. Modeling racial prejudice: Connecting factors from multiple disciplines.
- Mozumder, M. K. Psychometric Properties of the Perceived Stress Scale among General Population in Bangladesh. Under review for publication in the BMC Psychiatry.
- Mozumder, M. K., Haque, M. A., Jasmine, U. H., Royal, R. I. & Sharmin, R., Behavior and Experience of Male Homosexuals in Bangladesh. Under review for publication in the Bangladesh Journal of Psychiatry.
M.PHIL THESES SUPERVISED
- Development of an Inventory of Sexual Satisfaction. Submitted by Tahmina Parvin in December, 2016.
- Exploring Client Satisfaction Among Psychotherapy Recipients. Submitted Mita Mondol in March, 2017.
- Exploring Early Warning Signs of Suicide in Bangladesh. Submitted by Rubina Jahan Rumi in March, 2017.
- Impact of Psychoeducation among Patients Undergoing Cardiac Surgery. Submitted by Nafisa Sultana in May, 2017.
- Understanding Psychosocial Impact of Chronic Pain. Submitted by Umme Salma Afroz in May, 2017.
- Mental Health Problem among Persons with Disability. Submitted by Rifat Sharmin Ferdous in March 2018.
Currently supervising 1 PhD researcher and 9 MPhil researchers.
- “Targeting Thinking Errors for Interracial Prejudice Reduction in Chittagong Hill Tracts, Bangladesh.” Presented at the 6th Asian Cognitive Behavior Therapy Conference, 9-12, February 2018, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- "Behavioral Dynamics in Communicable Disease." Presented at the 3rd Bangladesh Summit on Sustainable Development, August 16-19, 2014, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- "Defining Quality of Care: Perspective of Health Service Recipient." Presented at the 2nd Global Conference on Community Health, March 19-21, 2014, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- “Factors Associated with Racial Prejudice: A Grounded Theory Approach.” Presented at the 2nd Southeast Asia Psychology conference, September 26-28, 2012, Sabah, Malaysia.
- “Development of a Contextualized Assessment Tool for Racial Prejudice.” Presented at the 2nd Malaysian Psychology Conference, October 20-21, 2012, Selangor, Malaysia.
- "Treatment Seeking Behavior for Mental Health Problem in Bangladesh." Presented at the 3rd Bangladesh Clinical Psychology Conference, October 27-28, 2011, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- “Dysfunctional Thinking amongst People in Racial Conflict: A Study in Bangladesh Hill Tracts.” Presented at the Second International Conference on Hate Studies, April 6-9, 2011, Airway Heights, Washington, USA.
- “Development of a Scale of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Assessment of its Psychometric Properties” presented at the First Annual Clinical Psychology Conference in Bangladesh, February 24-25, 2006, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- "A Prevalence Study of Various Male Psycho-Sexual Dysfunctions and Problems among Individuals Attending Psychological Services in a Sex Therapy Clinic" presented at a scientific session titled: Research by Clinical Psychologist in Bangladesh, October 10, 2005, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
FUNDINGS AND AWARDS
- February 2018. Research funding from University Grants Commission, Bangladesh.
- July 2017. Recipient of the Commonwealth Professional Fellowship 2017 offered by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK for pursuing exposure and training on systemic and family therapy in the NHS, London, UK.
- July 2015. Joint Recipient of Small Grant 2015 from the KIT (Royal Tropical Institute) of the Netherlands through Share net International. The amount received through the grant was 24,843 Euro.
- September 2015. Received travel grant from Nasirullah Psychotherapy Unit for attending training at the Beck Institute of Cognitive Therapy. Philadelphia, USA.
- May 2014. Received travel grant from Nasirullah Psychotherapy Unit for attending training on Supervision Skills, at London, UK.
- April 2011. Received International Conference Fund Grant from Monash University for travelling and presenting paper at the 2nd International Conference on Hate Study, USA.
- March 2009. Recipient of Monash University Sunway campus Scholarship for three years and six months covering tuition fee and stipend for PhD study at Monash University.
- 2002-2003. Awarded NSICT Fellowship from the Ministry of Science, Information and Communication Technology, Government of Bangladesh for MPhil research.
ONGOING AND RECENTLY COMPLETED RESEARCH WORK
Collaborator in the Worker Well-Being and Productivity in the Bangladesh Garment Sector (Paula Lopez-Pena and Dr. Atonu Rabbami).
Principle investigator of research titled "Exploration of mental health needs and support systems among the LGBT population in Bangladesh" Funded by KIT (Royal Tropical Institute) the Netherlands.
Principal Investigator of the Study on Quality of Care from Patient Perspective. This large scale study was conducted in cooperation with the Health Care Development Project (HCDP) with technical support from Royal Tropical Institute (KIT, Netherlands). A paper arising from this study was presented at the 2nd Global Conference on Community Health, March 19-21, 2014, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Principal Investigator of the study titled “Assessing Neuro-cognitive Functioning of Injecting and Non-injecting Drug Users.”
Principal Investigator of the study titled “A study of Psychological State of MSM and MSW in Bangladesh.” A paper arising from this study was presented at the 30th International Congress of Psychology, Cape Town, South Africa, July 2012.
Principal Investigator of the study on “Treatment Seeking Behavior for Psychiatric Illness in Bangladesh.” A paper arising from this study was presented at the 3rd Bangladesh Clinical Psychology Conference, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 27-28 October, 2011.
Joint Investigator of the following studies conducted with the financial and organizational support from Multi-Sectoral Programme on Violence against Women (MSP-VAW, Phase-1), adopted in cooperation between the Government of Bangladesh and the development agency of the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Psychological Impact of violence on women victims.
- Demographic profile of the women victims attending crisis centers.
- Developing a screening tool for ensuring quick identification and referral of the victims of VAW.
- Attitudes of the professionals working with women victims of violence.
- Intensive Exposure and training on Systemic and Family Therapy at London, UK through the Commonwealth Professional Fellowship program during September-December 2017.
- Diploma in Family Focused Practices using Systemic Therapy (Part I) by Sharon Bond and Kerri Newns at Chiron Training Limited, London, UK.
- Foundation Course in Narrative Practice by Glenda Fredman and Beth Hill, organized during September – December 2017 at Hackney ARK, London UK
- Couples on the brink: romantic bonds, binds and ruptures, 2-3 November 2017, by Virginia Goldner. Organized by Institute of Family Therapy, London, UK.
- Narrative Therapy Level 1, 9-13 October 2017 by Institute of Narrative Therapy, London, UK.
- Principles and Strategies of Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, 27 February - 5 March 2017, by dr. David Quinn. Jointly organized by the Department of Clinical Psychology and Nasirullah Psychotherapy Unit, University of Dhaka.
- Ethical Issues and Practices in Implementation Research, 25-26 January 2017 by Professor Richard A. Cash, jointly organized by Brac University and icddr,b.
- Neuropsychological Theory and Assessment Procedures. 11-15 janyary 2016, by dr. David Quinn. Jointly organized by the Department of Clinical Psychology and Nasirullah Psychotherapy Unit, University of Dhaka.
- "The power of Dialogue" at the Public Conversation Project, Massachusetts, USA. October 22-24, 2015.
- "Teaching and Supervision in CBT" at the Beck Institute, Philadelphia, USA. October 19-21, 2015.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Part-1, August 2015.
- Systemic and Family Therapy: Foundation level, 2-13 August 2015, by Glenda Fredman and Philip Messent. Organized by Nasirullah Psychotherapy Unit Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U.
- "Essential Supervision Skills", by The Skills Development Service Ltd, London, United Kingdom. 30 April - 1 May, 2014.
- “Qualitative Methods I - Essentials of Qualitative Research Methods” (Introductory level). Jointly organized by Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine & Health Sciences and School of Business, Monash University Sunway campus, June 27 to July 1, 2011.
- “Qualitative Methods II - Application and Analysis of Qualitative Research Methods” (Intermediate Level). Jointly organized by Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine & Health Sciences and School of Business, Monash University Sunway campus, July 11 -15, 2011.
- "Philosophy of Research Workshop – Why, What and How of Research" by Professor Emeritus Gary N. McLean of Texas A&M University, organized by School of Business, Monash University Sunway campus. July 17-18, 2012.
- "Structural Equation Model with AMOS" Organized by School of Business, Monash University Sunway campus. July 9-10, 2012 (Introductory level); July 11, 2012 (Advanced level).
- "Applied Panel Data Analysis" Organized by School of Business, Monash University Sunway campus, June 25-26, 2012
- “Survey Research Workshop: Interactive and Hands-on” by, Dr. Pamela Campanelli, Survey method Consultant, Chartered Statistician and Chartered Scientist, U.K. Organized by School of Business, Monash University Sunway campus, February 23-24, 2010.
- “Intermediate Survey Analysis: Interactive and Hands on” by Dr Pamela Campanelli, Survey Research Consultant, UK Chartered Statistician, Chartered Scientist. Organized by School of Business, Monash University Sunway campus, January 17-18, 2011.
- “Human Research Ethics” The workshop was conducted by Dr. Simon Barrett, Manager, Research Ethics & Compliance, Monash Research Office, and was organized by School of Business, Monash University Sunway campus, December 1, 2009.
- “ePortfolio for Professionals – Staff ePortfolios for Career Management and Lifelong Learning” by Dr Kathryn Chang Barker, Senior Advisor, Education Innovation, Monash University Sunway campus. February 25, 2011
- "Two-Day Writing Workshop for HDR & HDR Pathways Student" by Dr. Sandy Smith, University of Auckland, Organized by School of Business, Monash University Sunway campus. August 23 & 25, 2011.
- “Writing an Abstract” by Dr Sandy Smith, University of Auckland. Organized by School of Business, Monash University Sunway campus, March 28, 2012.
- “Pre-teaching Induction Course” The course was facilitated by Prof. Tessa Dunseath, Head, Medical Education, Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Monash University Sunway campus, July 21-22, 2009.
- "Voluntary Counseling and Testing for HIV/AIDS, Training for the Trainers: Part-I and II" Provided by Department of Mental health, Ministry of Public health, Thailand and Family Health International. Held in Bangkok and Chiangmai of Thailand.
- Training on Psychodrama by Herb Propper, PhD, TEP, Certified trainer, Educator and Practitioner of Psychodrama and Group Psychotherapy, from USA.
- Orientation on Drama therapy by Bobbi Ausubel, Teaching in Graduate Certificate Program, Omega Theater Transpersonal Drama Therapy, from Boston, USA.
- Orientation on Art and Playback Theatre therapy by Jennie Kristel from Canada.
- Basic training on “The Convention on the Right of the Child” (CRC) organized by Save the Children Sweden, September 2001.
TRAINING & WORKSHOP Facilitation
- Psychological Intervention for Refugee Population, a half day preconference workshop at the 6th Asian Cognitive Behavior Therapy Conference, 9-12, February 2018, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Positive Parenting. Organized by Nasirullah Psychotherapy Unit, Department of Clinical Psychology, DU. During 2-3 September, 2016; 20-21 January, 2017; 28-29 July 2017.
- Psychological Techniques for Managing People who have Experienced Torture. Organized by Health Equity Initiatives, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia during 30 Jule - 2 July 2017.
- Qualitative Research: Inception to Data analysis and report Writing." Organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U. 15-21 May & 26, 30-31 July 2017.
- Stress management on Safety and Security Concern for Sexual Minority Organization. Organized by Bandhu Social Welfare Society on December 6, 2016.
- Advanced Qualitative Data Analysis using NVivo 10. Organized by Center for Mental Health & Care, Bangladesh. June 18-19, 2016
- Essential Skills in Clinical Supervision. Jointly organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U. and Nasirullah Psychotherapy Unit. May 30 - June 1, 2016.
- Assessment and Management of Clients with Suicide Risk. Jointly organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U. and Nasirullah Psychotherapy Unit. 17 May 2016.
- Qualitative Research: Inception to Data analysis and report Writing." Jointly organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U. and Nasirullah Psychotherapy Unit. August 23 - September 1, 2015.
- Workshop on Academic Writing. Jointly organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U. and Nasirullah Psychotherapy Unit. April 17, 19-20; 2016.
- Quantitative Data analysis Module 2: Bi-variate analysis. organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U. November 23-25, 2014.
- Quantitative Data analysis Module 1: Preparing Data for SPSS. organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U. July 1-3 and July 15-17, 2014.
- Post-conference workshop titled “Indigenization of Psychology Knowledge: Practice, Prospect and Procedure" organized with the 4rd Bangladesh Clinical Psychology Conference, Dhaka, Bangladesh, August 22, 2014.
- Academic Writing Workshop. Organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U. March 23-24, 2014.
- Co-facilitator in "Training on HIV Testing and Counseling" organized by Save the Children during October 26-31, 2013 and December 7-12, 2013.
- Qualitative research: Inception to analysis and report writing. Organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U. November 9-17, 2013.
- Co-facilitator in "ToT on ART training for Physician" organized by World Health Organization, Bangladesh, (14-18 July, 21-25 July, and 28 July - 01 August, 2013).
- Psychological Intervention with Torture Survivors. Organized by Health Equity Initiatives, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. August 23-24, 2012.
- Orientation to Qualitative research: Conception to Data analysis. Organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U. (May 2011) and Department of Educational and Counseling Psychology, D.U. (October 1-5, 2011).
- Pre-conference workshop titled “Qualitative Methodology: High Impact Research with Low Resources" organized with the 3rd Bangladesh Clinical Psychology Conference, Dhaka, Bangladesh, October 26, 2011.
- Co-facilitator at Advanced VCT Training, organized at different times by Family Health International (FHI) Bangladesh (July 9-14, 2005; March 4-9, 2006; July 8-13, 2006; August 5-10, 2006; June 19-27, 2007; October 5-10, 2008).
- Understanding counseling skills in the field of violence prevention. Organized by Protirodh project of CARE Bangladesh during July 2-5, and July 16-19, 2008. The workshops were participated by Doctors, Nurses, Police Officers, Lawyers and Journalists.
- Basic knowledge on VCT for the field staff (Site Bandhu & Program Assistants) of BSWS. (3 training sessions: September, 27 & 29, October 02, 2005).
- Co-facilitator at “Counseling course developed for improving mental health services for the survivors of trafficking and violence against women and children” organized by Dhaka Ahsania Mission, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Facilitated several workshops on different topics in programs launched in observance of World Mental Health Day jointly organized by Bangladesh Clinical Psychology Association and Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U. in the year 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2014.
- Psycho-sexual and counseling issues of MSM. At annual consultation meetings on MSM sexual health and capacity building held during 2003 and 2006 organized by Bandhu Social Welfare Society at Gazipur, Bangladesh.
- Associate Professor, at Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Dhaka February 27, 2014 onward.
- Assistant Professor at Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Dhaka November 3, 2008 to February 26, 2014.
- Lecturer, at Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Dhaka from May 10, 2005 to November 2, 2008.
- Part-time employment in the following organizations at different stages of career.
- Field Research Officer (2004 – 2005, 18 months), working with injecting drug users at the International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh (ICDDR,B).
- Psychologist (2003 – 2005, 18 months) providing treatment for males with Psycho-sexual Dysfunctions at Marie Stopes Clinic, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Student Counselor (18 months) at the Student Guidance and Counseling Center of T.S.C., Dhaka University, Bangladesh.
- Worked as a psychologist working with victims of torture at Bangladesh Rehabilitation Center for Trauma Victims (BRCT), Dhaka, Bangladesh during December 2002 to May 2004.
- Voluntary work as a psychologist working on MSM mental health and psycho-sexual issues at Bandhu Social Welfare Society (BSWS), Dhaka, Bangladesh during July 2002 to February 2003.
Major Consultancy accomplished
- Lead Consultant of Acid Survivors' Foundation (ASF) Bangladesh during May-June 2015 for developing guidelines on minimum care standard of psychosocial care for victims of acid and other burn violence.
- Consultant of Multi-Sectoral Programme on Violence against Women (MSP-VAW), adopted in cooperation between the Government of Bangladesh and the development agency of the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The main responsibilities of this consultancy work (March - April 2009) was to provide technical support in establishment and maintenance of National Trauma Counseling Center.
- Consultant of the above mentioned MSP-VAW, during May - October 2007. The main responsibilities of this consultancy work was to ensure development of scope for psychological counseling for the female victims of violence in Bangladesh.
- Counseling Consultant of Family Health International (FHI) Bangladesh during the month of August - September 2006. Providing onsite mentoring and supportive supervision to the counselors for rolling out the HIV Counseling and Testing services.
- Consultant for SEEMA project of CARE Bangladesh for conducting "Participatory Action Research on Psychosocial Wellbeing of Impact Group of SEEMA Project" during January - February 2014.
- Counseling Consultant for June - September 2005 with Ashar Alo Society, an NGO of Bangladesh, working with HIV positive individuals. The main responsibilities included improving counseling skills of the peer counselors and counseling supervisor, developing reporting format, developing supervisory tools, etc.
- Temporary Advisor of World Health Organization (WHO) South East Asian Regional Office (SEARO), during July 18-30, 2005. The responsibility of this consultancy included facilitating training session at the third inter-country training of trainers on HIV/AIDS Voluntary Counseling and Testing, Yangon, Myanmar Organized by WHO and Unicef.
- Member, Bangladesh Clinical Psychology Society (BCPS), Bangladesh. Member of EC.
- Member, American Psychological Association (APA), USA.
- Graduate Member (currently dormant), The British Psychological Society (BPS), UK.
- Member, International Association of Applied Psychology.
- Member, Bangladesh Psychological Association (BPA). Office bearer as the Seminar Symposium Secretary.
- Member, Bangladesh Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health (BACAMH).