Chairperson & Associate Professor
Department of Clinical Psychology
University of Dhaka
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Adult mental health problems
HIV-AIDS Counseling & VCT
Street based Injecting Drug Users
Violence Against Women Issues
Scale / Tool Development
• Mozumder, M. K. & Haque, S. (2015). Stereotypical thoughts and perceptions among Chakma and Settler Bengalis in Southeastern Bangladesh. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology, 21(2), 285.
• Gayen, T. K. & Mozumder, M. K. (2011). Burnout among the Clinical Psychological Service Providers of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Psychological Studies, 21, 75-90.
• Kaly, A., Mozumder, M. K., Rahman, M. M. & Parveen, Z. (2010). Clinical Psychology Service at Non-medical Setup: Service Development and Profile of Clients Attending Students Guidance and Counseling Center of University of Dhaka. The Dhaka University Journal of Psychology, 34, 1-11.
• Mozumder, M. K. & Begum, R. (2008). Symptomatology of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Psychological Studies, 18, 1-10.
• Mozumder, M. K. (2007). Implementation of Cognitive Behavior Therapy in the Treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in Bangladesh: A Case Study. Bangladesh Psychological Studies, 17, 37-48.
• Uddin, Z. M., Miah, M. A. A., Mozumder, M. K., Begum, H. A., Karim, E. & Firoz, A.H.M. (2007). A Survey of Knowledge about HIV/AIDS among Educated Dwellers of Dhaka City. Bangladesh Journal of Psychiatry, 21(1), 17-27.
• Mozumder, M. K. & Begum, R. (2007) Relationship Between Socio-Demographic Variables and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Pakistan Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 5(1), 3-14.
• Deeba, F. & Mozumder, M. K. (2006). Psychological Service Analysis for Victims of Violence Against Women in Bangladesh: A Nationwide Survey. Bangladesh Psychological Studies, 16, 1-12.
• Mozumder, M. K. & Begum, R. (2005). Development of a Scale of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Assessment of its Psychometric Properties. Bangladesh Psychological Studies, 15, 115-131.
• Mozumder, M. K. & Rahman, M. M. (2004). A Prevalence Study of Various Male Psycho-Sexual Dysfunctions and Problems among Individuals Attending Psychological Services in a Sex Therapy Clinic. Bangladesh Psychological Studies, 14, 71-88.
• Haque, M. & Mozumder, M. K. (2000). Relationship of Values Between Two Generations. The Bangladesh Journal of Psychology, 18, 97-107.
UNPUBLISHED RESEARCH WORK
• Principal Investigator of a study titled "Exploration of mental health needs and support systems among the LGBT population in Bangladesh." This large scale study was funded by Royal Tropical Institute (KIT, Netherlands)
• Principal Investigator of the Study on Quality of Care from Patient Perspective. This large scale study was conducted in cooperation with the Health Care Development Project (HCDP) with technical support from Royal Tropical Institute (KIT, Netherlands)
• Principal Investigator of the study titled “A study of Psychological State of MSM and MSW in Bangladesh.” A paper arising from this study was presented at the 30th International Congress of Psychology, Cape Town, South Africa, July 2012.
• Principal Investigator of the study on “Treatment Seeking Behavior for Psychiatric Illness in Bangladesh.” A paper arising from this study was presented at the 3rd Bangladesh Clinical Psychology Conference, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 27-28 October, 2011.
• Principal Investigator of a research titled ‘Neuro-Cognitive Functioning of Injecting and Non-Injecting Drug Users.’
• Joint Investigator of the following studies conducted with the financial and organizational support from Multi-Sectoral Programme on Violence against Women (MSP-VAW, Phase-1), adopted in cooperation between the Government of Bangladesh and the development agency of the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Psychological Impact of Violence on Women Victims.
- Demographic Profile of the Women Victims Attending to Crisis Centers.
- Developing a Screening Tool for Ensuring Quick Identification and Referral of the Victims of VAW.
- Attitudes of the Professionals Working with Women Victims of Violence.
ONGOING RESEARCH PROJECT
• Understanding psycho-social impact of chronic pain, with MPhil researcher Umme Salma Afroz.
• Development of a scale of parent child relationship, with MPhil researcher Shamima Akhter.
• Mental health problems among persons with disability, with MPhil researcher Rifat Sharmin.
• Exploring client satisfaction among psychotherapy recipient, with MPhil researcher Mita Mandal.
• Impact of psycho-education among patients undergoing cardiac surgery, with MPhil researcher Nafisa Sultana.
• Understanding the Development of Core Beliefs, with MPhil researcher Tofa Hakim.
• Exploring the psycho-social factors of aggression among adolescents, with MPhil researcher Farjana Reza.
• Nature and impact of postpartum depression on women's life, with MPhil researcher Mumita Jerin Nilav.
• Attitude towards psychiatric medication among the providers and recipients of mental health services, with MPhil researcher Kaniz Fatema.
• Exploring barriers in seeking mental health service, with MPhil researcher Fahmida Shultana.
• Development of self-help guide for Obsessive-compulsive disorder, with MPhil researcher Farzana Akter.
• Evaluation of Nasirulllah Psychotherapy Unit (NPU) in Enhancing Psychological Services in Bangladesh with MPhil researcher Rubina Jahan Rumi.
Two narrative Bangla articles published in the local professional magazine ‘The Clinical Psychologist.’ The magazine is contributed by qualified mental health professionals, to promote mental health awareness in Bangladesh. The articles were titled as follows.
- Questions and Answers about Schizophrenia. The Clinical Psychologist (Bangladesh), 3rd Issue, June 2003.
- How Psychotherapy Works. The Clinical Psychologist (Bangladesh), 4th Issue, October 2003.
Part-time employment in the following organizations at different stages of career.
• Eighteen months of employment as a Student Counselor at the Student Guidance and Counseling Center of T.S.C., Dhaka University, Bangladesh.
• Eighteen months of employment as a Psychologist working with victims of torture at Bangladesh Rehabilitation Center for Trauma Victims (BRCT), Bijoy Nagor, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• Eighteen months of employment as a Psychologist providing treatment for males with Psycho-sexual Dysfunctions at Marie Stopes Clinic, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• Eighteen months of employment as a Field Research Officer (HIV Counselor), working with injecting drug users (IDUs) at ICDDR,B, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• Seven months service on MSM mental health and psycho-sexual issues at Bandhu Social Welfare Society (BSWS), Kakrail, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
WORKSHOP AND TRAINING FACILITATION
• Facilitated a day long training workshop "Suicide Risk Assessment and Management" organized by National Trauma Counseling Centre, Ministry of Women and Children Affairs on 28 November 2013.
• Facilitated nine-day long training on "Qualitative Research: Inception to Analysis and Report Writing" organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U. (9-17 November 2013).
• Facilitated several sessions in the " Training on HIV Testing and Counseling" organized by Save the Children during 26-31 October 2013 and 7-12 December 2013.
• Facilitated several sessions in the "ToT on ART training for Physician" organized by World Health Organization, Bangladesh, (14-18 July, 21-25 July, and 28 July - 01 August, 2013).
• Facilitated two-day training on "Psychological Intervention with Torture Survivors" for the Staff of Health Equity Initiatives, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (23-24 August 2012).
• Facilitaed pre-conference workshop titled "Qualitative Methodology: High Impact Research with Low Resources" organized with the 3rd Bangladesh Clinical Psychology Conference, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 26 October 2011.
• Facilitated two five-day long training on "Orientation to Qualitative Research: Conception to Data analysis" organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, D.U. (May 2011) and Department of Educational and Counseling Psychology, D.U. (1-5 October 2011).
• Facilitated several sessions under "Advanced VCT Training", organized at different times by Family Health International (FHI) Bangladesh (9-14 July 2005, 4-9 March 2006, 8-13 July 2006, 5-10 August 2006, 5-10 October 2008)
• Facilitated several workshops on ‘Understanding Counseling Skills in the Field of Volence Prevention’ organized by CARE Bangladesh during 2-5 July and 16-19 July 2008.
• Facilitated several sessions at the Third Inter-Country Training of Trainers on HIV/AIDS Voluntary Counseling and Testing, Yangon, Myanmar (Part 1: 18 July - 30 July 2005). Organized by WHO and Unicef.
• "Defining quality of care: Perspective of health service recipient" presented at the
Global conference on community health, 19-22 March 2014, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• "Factors Associated with Racial Prejudice: A Grounded Theory Approach" presented at the 2nd Southeast Asia Psychology Conference, September 26-28, 2012, Sabah, Malaysia.
• "Development of a Contexualized Assessment Tool for Racial Prejudice" presented at the 2nd Malaysian Psychology Conference, October 20-21, 2012. Selangor, Malaysia.
• "Treatment seeking behavior for mental health problem in Bangladesh" presented at the 3rd Bangladesh Clinical Psychology Conference, October 27 – 28, 2011, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• “Dysfunctional Thinking amongst People in Racial Conflict: A Study in Bangladesh Hill Tracts” presented at the Second International Conference on Hate Studies, April 6 – 9, 2011, Airway Heights, Washington, USA.
• “Development of a Scale of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Assessment of its Psychometric Properties” presented at the First Annual Clinical Psychology Conference in Bangladesh, February 24 - 25, 2006, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• "A Prevalence Study of Various Male Psycho-Sexual Dysfunctions and Problems among Individuals Attending Psychological Services in a Sex Therapy Clinic" presented at a scientific session titled: Research by Clinical Psychologist in Bangladesh, October 10, 2005, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• General Member, Bangladesh Clinical Psychology Society (BCPS), Bangladesh.
• Member, American Psychological Association (APA), Bangladesh.
• General Member, Bangladesh Psychological Association (BPA), Bangladesh.
• Member, Bangladesh Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health (BACAMH).
• Member of Institute of Counseling Rehabilitation and Research (ICRR), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• Member, International Association of Applied Psychology (IAAP)
• Graduate Member, The British Psychological Society (BPS), United Kingdom.
• Member, Ethical Review Committee (ERC), ICDDR,B.
Father : M.H. Hyder Mozumder
Mother : Rizia Begum
Nationality : Bangladeshi
Date of Birth : 25 May 1978
Marital Status : Married
Spouse : Zohora Parveen
43/i, Road 4, Block D, Basundhara RA, Dhaka-1229, Bangladesh
Tel. # 88-02-55038918 (Home); 88-02-9661900 ext.7800(Office)
Cell. # 88-01713066423