Details of Dr. Farah Deeba
Educational and Professional qualifications obtained:
2009- 2015 Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology Macquarie University, Sydney
1999-2000 Master of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology Dhaka University, Bangladesh
1995- 1996 Master of Science in Clinical Psychology Dhaka University, Bangladesh
1992-1995 Bachelor of Science in Psychology (Honours) Dhaka University, Bangladesh
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowship 2016.
- International Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarship 2009-2013.
- Dhaka University Higher Degree Scholarship 1999-2000.
- Bangladesh Govt. General scholarships for M.Sc. (1996), B.Sc. (1995), HSC (1992) and SSC (1990).
Grants Received for clinical research works:
- Australian High Commission, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2016-2018)
- University Grants Commission, BD (2015)
- Psychology Department, Macquarie University (2010)
- Multi-Sectoral Program in Violence Against Women (2007)
- Acid Survivors Foundation (2005)
- Deeba, F., & Rapee, R. M. (2015a). Evaluation of an innovative intervention for traumatized children from a low resourced country. Mental Health & Prevention (0). doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mhp.2015.05.001
- Deeba, F., & Rapee, R. M. (2015b). Prevalence of traumatic events and risk for psychological symptoms among community and at-risk children and adolescents from Bangladesh. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, n/a-n/a. doi: 10.1111/camh.12093
- Deeba, F., Rapee, R. M., & Prvan, T. (2014a). Psychometric properties of the Children’s Revised Impact of Events Scale (CRIES) with Bangladeshi children and adolescents. PeerJ, 2, e536. doi: 10.7717/peerj.536
- Deeba, F., Rapee, R. M., & Prvan, T. (2014b). Psychometric properties of two measures of childhood internalizing problems in a Bangladeshi sample. British Journal of Clinical Psychology, n/a-n/a. doi: 10.1111/bjc.12071
- Deeba, F.&Rahman, M. M. (2012). Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Children and Adolescents in Bangladesh, in CBT in Non-Western Cultures, Naeem, F. and Kingdon, D. (Eds.), Nova Publishers, United Kingdom.
- Hossain, M. S., Deeba, F., & Begum. R., (2009) Exploring Cognitive Distortions among different individuals with Depressive Disorder. Dhaka University Journal of Psychology, Vol-33. Dhaka.
- Deeba,F.,Tanjin, T., & Binte Shahid, S.F. (2009) A Study on Satisfaction Level of Drug Addiction Service Receivers in Dhaka City; Bangladesh Psychological Studies, Vol-19; Pp. 9-24. Dhaka.
- Deeba, F. & Mozumder, K.M. (2006) Psychological Service Analysis for Victims of Violence Against Women in Bangladesh; A Nationwide Survey. Bangladesh Psychological Studies, Vol-16, P.1-12.
- Deeba, F., (2005) Need for Clinical Psychology Service in Bangladesh for the Childhood Psychological Problems: A Survey. Proceedings published by Bangladesh Protibondhi Foundation, Dhaka. (Paper presented in the 2nd Regional conference on Childhood Disability in 2004).
- Deeba, F. & Begum, R. (2004) Development of an Anxiety Scale for Bangladeshi Population, Bangladesh Psychological Studies, Vol-14, Pp 39-54.
- Deeba, F. (1999). Knowing a Psychological Disorder Among the Trauma Survivors, Bangladesh Journal of Geriatrics, Vol-37; Dhaka.
- Farah Deeba and Ismat Jahan. Impact of Stress Management Training on Professionals Working With Victims of Violence. The Dhaka University Journal of Biological Sciences (Under review).
Unpublished research works/papers:
Joint Investigator of the following studies conducted with financial and organizational support from Multi-Sectoral Programme on Violence against Women (MSP-VAW, Phase-1), adopted in cooperation between the Government of Bangladesh and the development agency of the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (with Mohammad Kamruzzaman Mozumder)
- Psychological Impact of violence on women victims.
- Demographic profile of the women victims attending to crisis centers.
- Developing a screening tool for ensuring quick identification and referral of the victims of VAW.
- Attitudes of the professionals working with women victims of violence.
Conference and Seminar presentation
- 2012 (UK) Seminar with mental health professionals at NHS on “Psychological Well-being: A cross-cultural Perspectives” at CFCS, NHS on 25th July 2012. Paper presented titled, Place of Mental Health in the life of Bangladeshis: Necessity vs Luxury.
- 2012 (UK) Paper presented in 7th International Conference on Child and Adolescent Psychopathology, Roehampton University, titled, Evaluation of an innovative intervention for traumatized children in a low-resourced country.
- 2011 (Dhaka, Bangladesh) Paper presented on “Sexual abuse in the life of school children in Bangladesh” a seminar jointly organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, DU and MSP-VAW.
- 2011 (Turkey), Paper presented entitled Trauma-specific negative cognitions in children and adolescents, at the 7th International congress on cognitive psychotherapy.
- 2007 (Dhaka) Paper presented entitled Development of an anxiety scale for Bangladeshi population, in the 1st International conference of Clinical Psychology, jointly organized by Department of Clinical Psychology, DU and Bangladesh Clinical Psychology Society (BCPS).
Other writing works:
- Worked as the Editor of the 4th to 8th issue of a mental health magazine entitled, “The Clinical Psychologist”, published by Group for Promoting Clinical Psychology Services in Bangladesh (GPCS), now being published by Bangladesh Clinical Psychology Society (BCPS).
- Worked as a writer for a project of National Textbook Board, Bangladesh, funded by UNICEF, to develop effective educational materials for the primary school children, with issues of Early Childhood Development, Facts for Life, Water and Sanitation, and different other relevant issues.