Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy
Associate Professor & Chairman
Department of Printing and Publication Studies
University of Dhaka, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh
Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy
Dept. of Printing and Publication Studies
University of Dhaka, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.)
● Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy obtained his Ph.D. degree in Mass Communication and Journalism from the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism of the University of Dhaka in the month of August, 2007.
The title of his Ph.D. thesis was Regional (Mufassil) Newspapers of Bangladesh: Impact on People. Renowned media expert of Bangladesh and Supernumerary professor of the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism at the University of Dhaka Dr. Sakhawat Ali Khan was his Guide to supervise the research program.
Professor Dr. Abul Ahsan Chowdhury, a prolific researcher on Folklore especially on Lalon Shain (Mystic Bard) and periodicals of Bengal during renaissance, and also the former Dean of Faculty of Social Sciences and Liberal Arts of Islamic University, Kushtia, Bangladesh was his chief examiner.
Dr. Saumendranath Bera, former Professor of the Department of Journalism of Calcutta University and formerly an MP in the Provincial Legislature of Indian State of West Bengal was one of the three examiners of his thesis.
● Dr. Roy earned his Masters of Arts in Mass Communication and Journalism also from the University of Dhaka in 1984 obtaining First class.
Area of Specialization and Interest
Journalism- mainly on national and regional newspapers, Mass media- especially newspaper and indigenous media, Press freedom and human rights, Journalistic concept and principles, Development journalism and communication, Newspaper editing and makeup, Media laws and ethics and right to information and Mass media of Bangladesh, Public relations, Bangladesh studies and War of Liberation, Environment and climate change, Community, communication and culture, Printing and publication, etc.
Teaching experience and areas
● Dr. Roy has been engaged in teaching and training for about twenty two years in the field of communication, journalism and media. Currently he has taken the charge of Chairmanship of newly launched department- Department of Printing and Publication Studies. Prior to join in the new department on September 6, 2015 he has been taught in the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka for about twenty years. He has been taught there as a full time faculty since July 01, 2009 to September 5, 2015. Prior to the joining in the department as full timer, he has taught there as an Adjunct Teacher from July 15, 1995 to July14, 2009.After joining to the Department of Printing and Publication Studies Dr Roy has been continuing his job as Adjunct Teacher in the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism.
He teaches Advanced Editing, Development Journalism, Public relations and Printing and Publishing laws at Masters Level and Makeup and Desktop Publishing and Mass media Laws and Ethics, Concepts of Journalism at undergraduate levels.
● He once attached with East West University, one of the leading private universities of Bangladesh at the position of Assistant Professor and taught Concepts of Journalism and Media Studies, Bangladesh Studies and Principles of Public Relations, Community Culture and Communication and War of Liberation. He also taught Controls of Information, Introduction to Mass communication, Dynamics of Mass Communication, Social and Professional Issues in Journalism and Information Technology etc. at undergraduate level. He has been still contributing there as Adjunct Teacher and offering courses on Community Culture and Communication, Sociology of Mass Communication and War of Liberation.
● He also worked as an External Examiner of the Department of Communication and Journalism of Chittagong University, Chittagong, Bangladesh and presently working as external at Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh and Jagannath University, Bangladesh.
● Dr. Roy worked as a Senior Instructor in the Press Institute of Bangladesh (PIB), the only national training institute of Bangladesh for professional journalists of print media, from September 1998 to February 2003.
● He was the Chief of the Diploma Course Management Committee of the PIB which is responsible to run one academic year Post-graduate Diploma Course in Journalism affiliated with National University of Bangladesh from July 2000 to February 2003. He presently serves there as Resource person.
● Prolific writer Dr. Roy has also worked in different newspapers, magazines and periodicals of Bangladesh since 1973 to 1994 in various capacities like Sub editor, Rewrite man, Sports correspondent and Sports page Editor, Contributor and Columnist.
Additional administrative attachment
Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy has been attached with Jagannath Hall, a residential dormitory of Dhaka University as House Tutor since February 17, 2011 to till date. His responsibility is to take care of the students and to address any kind of their academic or residential problems or grievances and providing counseling. He takes active part of arranging different kind of academic and socio-cultural programs, festivals in the hall involving mainly the students round the year.
Ph. D. Thesis:
● Dr. Roy’s Ph.D. thesis entitled Regional (Mufassil) Newspapers of Bangladesh: Impact on People was carried out on regional newspapers of Bangladesh in order to understand their nature and functioning and their impact on the people of Bangladesh. This is the first full-fledged research work which carried out on the state of small town or district level newspapers of Bangladesh. The dissertation is now under process of publication from the Press Institute of Bangladesh.
● Dr. Roy carried out a research study on media ethics entitled “Ethical lapses in Journalism: Present trend in Bangladeshi media with special emphasis to newspaper” under International Master Program of the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka with collaboration of a Norwegian University. The study has been published in a journal of the University of Dhaka.
●Another study he carried out on environment entitled “Climate Change and its impact in Sundarban: Projection in local (Khulna mainly) press (of Bangladesh).The study is almost ready to publish from the University Grants Commission of Bangladesh.
Articles published or under process of publication
●Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy have jointly authored an article entitled Exploring Using Pattern of Interactive Media: A Study on Adult Internet Users in Dhaka with Md. Asraful Alam and Professor Helana Ferdousi in the Social Science Review (The Dhaka University Studies, Part-D), Vol.32, No.2, December 2015
● Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy along with Md. Asraful Alam and Professor Helana Ferdousi has been authored an article entitled Social Media as a Tool of Resistance and Counter Power: A Critical Look to Facebook on the Issue of Communal Attack at Ramu in the Social Science Review (The Dhaka University Studies, Part-D), Vol.31, No.2, December 2014
●A research article authored by Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy entitled ‘The Concept of ‘News’: A Reconsideration’ has been published in the Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences of Daffodil International University, Bangladesh in its Volume 2 July,2014 edition.
● Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy has produced an article entitled Presentation in Lecture Method: Concepts and Practices/A Review on Bangladesh’s Perspective in the Ganpat University Journal of Applied Research in Social Sciences and Humanities; Vol.03, No.01, January-June 2014.
● Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy has been authored an article entitled Understanding Treatment of Mews in Newspapers: Application of a checklist and Roy-PRINCESS Technique in Social Science Review (The Dhaka University Studies, Part-D), Vol.29, No.2, June 2014
● Dr. Roy has been credited to publish an article entitled Interface of a Communicator, Participation and Cultural Renewal Process: A Review on Bangladesh’s Perspective in Global Media Journal-Indian Edition sponsored by the University of Calcutta; Winter Issue/ December 2013/ Vol. 4/ No.2
● Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy has produced an article entitled Ethical lapses in Journalism: Present trend in Bangladeshi media with particular emphasis on newspaper in Social Science Review (The Dhaka University Studies, Part-D), Vol.29, No.2, December 2012
● An article of Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy entitled Press Ethics in Bangladesh: Concepts and Practices has been published in anthology Subarna Sangbad/ Golden News: 50 Years of Journalism education in Bangaldesh, a publication of Departement of Mass Commubnication and Journalism, University of Dhaka, and edited by Dr. Fahmidul Haque, May 2013.
● Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy has authored an article entitled Vested (Enemy) Property Act-An Issue of India and Pakistan: Sufferers are the Hindus of Bangladesh in the Ganpat University Journal of Applied Research in Social Sciences and Humanities; Vol.1, No.1, July-December 2012.
●Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy along with Mr. Habib Mohammad Ali, Public relations Officer, East West University, Bangladesh authored an article entitled ‘Examining perceptions about public relations: A study among communication scholars and public relations practitioners in Bangladesh’ and was published in the Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal of Deakin University of Australia, Vol.13, No.1.2012
● Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy authored an article entitled ‘Indigenous media and participatory communication: A Review on Bangladesh’s perspective’ published in ‘Development Review’ the journal of National Academy for Planning and Development, Government of Bangladesh, Dhaka in its volume 21, 2011.
● A chapter (Paper) of Dr. Roy entitled ‘A Critique on Sustainable Resources of Bangladesh and their management: the role of the media’ has been placed in the proceedings of the International Conference on Biodiversity- Present State, Problems and Prospects of its conservation under auspices of Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway and University of Chittagong, Bangladesh in March 2012.
● Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy along with Mr. Rayyan Hassan, Lecturer, East West University has been authored a chapter entitled Voicing our roots: A critical review of Indigenous media and Knowledge in Bengal of an anthology "Indigenous knowledge and learning in Asia and Africa: Essentialism, Continuity and Change" edited by Dip Kapoor and Edward Shizha, of Palgrave Macmillan, New York in 2010.
● Dr. Roy’s another research article entitled ‘Freedom of Speech or Expression: What lies in the Constitutional and Ethical Instruments? A Review on Global Perspective’ has been officially accepted for publication in the Social Science Review [The Dhaka University Studies Part-D] for publication.
● A research article authored by Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy entitled ‘Flow of Information’ from foreign news agencies to two leading English dailies of Bangladesh: A comparative study has been published in Communica, a journal of Communication and Media of Bangladesh Centre for Development, Journalism and Communication (BCDJC) in its Vol. 01, Issue 02, March- April 2009.
● Dr. Roy’s another research article entitled The Press: The Fourth Estate or the Wing of the Govt.? has been published in BJR (Bangladesh Journalism Review), a publication of Bangladesh Centre for Development, Journalism and Communication (BCDJC) in its Vol.04, Issue 03, June 2008.
Articles (Vernacular language)
◙ Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy along with Md.Asrful Alam has been authored an article entitled Bangladesher Jatiya Sangbadpatrer Sangbad Adheya O Issue Framing: Ekti Samiksha (The News Content and Issue Framing of National Newspapers of Bangladesh: A Review) published in Samajik Bigynan Patrika [Dhaka University Studies, Part D], Part 9, No 9 (December 2015).
◙ Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy has been authored an article entitled Sangbadpatrer Swadhinata: Dolile O Proyage/ Ekti Samiksha Bangladesher Prekshapata (Freedom of Press: In Documents and Applications/ A Review on Bangladesh’s Perspective) published in Samajik Bigynan Patrika [Dhaka University Studies, Part D], Part 8, No 8 Poush 1421(December 2014).
◙ Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy has been produced an article entitled Bangladehser Muldharar Potrikay Poribeshana Bishoyak Peerasomuha( Trutee):Sampratic Probanata Samiksha[The presentational ailments(lapses) in mainstream newspapers of Bangladesh; Review on recent trends] published in Samajik Bigynan Patrika [Dhaka University Studies, Part D], Part 7, No 7 Poush 1420 (2014).
◙ Dr. Roy’s article entitled Music O Choreography: Chalachitrer Dui Sahodora; Dharona Upajogita O Oitihasik Prekkhapat Samiksha published in Bangladesh Film Archive Journal, 2012
◙ Ganamadhyamer Probhab O Mafassaler Songbadpotra: Ekti Samiksha (Impact of Mass Media and Rural newspapers: A Review), Palli Unnayan, Journal of Bangladesh Academy for Rural Advancement, December 2011.
◙ Bangladesher Mafassal (Sthaniya) Songbadpotrer Samasya O Bikash: Ekti Samiksha (Problem and Growth of Mafassal (Local) Newspapers of Bangladesh: A Review), Samajik Bigynan Patrika [Dhaka University Studies, Part D], Part 5, No 5 Poush 1418 (2011).
◙ Mafassal Sangbadpatrer Tathya Aharan O Bikiran Prakria(News gathering and transmitting process of rural newspapers), Nirikhsa, a Press Institute Journal; April-September issue 2011
◙ Jatiya Unnayane Mafassal Patrikar Bhumika ebong Bangladesher Sangadpatra: Ekti Samiksha (The role of rural newspapers in national development and rural newspapers: A Review; Samajik Bigynan Patrika, Dhaka University, Part. 4, No.4; December 2009-December2010
◙ Mat-o-Bhab Prakasher Swadhinata; Prekshit Chalachitra (Freedom of expression and opinion: Context film); Dhaka University Journal (Bangla); Vol, Oct 2003- February 2004.
◙ Notun Dharar Sangbadikatar Sandhaney (Quest for new trend of Journalism); Human rights journal of Mass-line Media Center, 3rd Issues, January 2003
◙ Jatiya Dainiker Mafassal Pata (Mufassil Pages of National Dailies); PIB journal; Vol, Sept-Oct, 2000.
◙ TV Madhyamer Samajik Prabhab, Prekshit Nirbachan, 1996 (Social Impact of TV medium: Context Election, 1996); Jogajog, a Journal of Communication, 1997.
◙ Observation Report on City Corporation Election 1994; Coordinating Council for Human Rights, Bangladesh (CCHRB); February 1994.
◙ Sangbadikata Niti Shoily Shoithilya (Journalism Ethics Skills Lapses); Palal Publications, Dhaka, February 1, 2012
◙ Reporting; Bangla Academy; Dhaka, January, (Fourth edition) 2015 and first edition in January 1995.
◙ Radio-TV Sangbadikata (Radio-TV Journalism); Mass-Line Media Centre, Dhaka; December 2004.
◙ Sangbadikata, Sangbadik-o-Sangbadpatra (Journalism, Journalists and the Press), 2nd edition; Mass-line Media Centre (MMC), Dhaka; May 2003.First edition: February 1994.
◙ Sangbader Jagot (News World); PIB, Dhaka; June 1998
◙ Photo-Sangbadiker Prathomik Path (Elementary reading for photojournalists); PIB, Dhaka; August 1999.
◙ Shilpa-o-Jogajog (Art and Communication); Paragon Publishers, Dhaka, February 1993.
Literary works (Book of verses)
◙ Bikele Bhorer Ful (Morning flowers in noon): Ekattor Prakashani(Ekattor Publications), Dhaka, February, 2016
Seminar papers presented
● Dr. Roy presented a research paper entitled Climate Change and its impact in Sundarban: Projection in local (mainly Khulna) Press under fellowship of the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka and the Department of Media and Communications, Goldsmith College, University of London on January 13, 2013 at The Center for Excellence of the University of Dhaka.
● Dr. Roy presented a paper entitled ‘Natural resources of Bangladesh and the role of Media’ in an international seminar held at Chittagong, Bangladesh on January 2011 under auspices of Zoology Department of Chittagong University and Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway.
● Dr. Roy presented a paper in a seminar-cum-training workshop at Bangalore, India on May 1996 under auspices of Ecumenical Christian Centre(ECC), Bangalore, India; The title of the paper was ‘Human rights situation in Bangladesh in the context of general election 1996’.
● Dr. Roy presented a paper entitled Bangla newspapers of Bangladesh: Recent trends in a seminar at Bangladesh Center for Development Journalism and Communication (BCDJC), Dhaka on February 27, 2003.
● He presented a research paper entitled Mufassil Pages of national dailies in a seminar-cum-workshop for the Mufassil Editors of the daily newspapers of Bangladesh organized by the Press Institute of Bangladesh (PIB) held at PIB on April 10-11, 2000;
● He presented a paper entitled ‘Situation of Lebanon: International Perspective’ in a seminar held in Dhaka in1984 under auspices of the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka.
Research on ‘Media projection on Climate change’ is ready for publication from any leading Publishing House
Dr. Roy has been completed his research project entitled Climate Change and its impact in Sundarban: Projection in local (mainly Khulna) Press under fellowship of the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka and the Department of Media and Communications, Goldsmith College, University of London.
The research in one end gives an overall idea how the south-western region of Bangladesh has been braving the natural calamities for decades due to the changes in climate and surviving adapting with the changed situation, and how the local media of that region have been focusing on that issue with what angle and attention on the other. These two aspects of the research would give a clear picture about the climate-related situation that has been prevailing in Bangladesh and the country’s regional newspapers’ almost indifferent role in this hot issue of present time.
Supervisory / Editing Role
● Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy did his Supervisory role of Masters level thesis of a student at the Department of Mass Communication, University of Dhaka on Bangladesher Jatiya dainike sangbad Upasthapane Corporate Snagslesh: Charti Muldharar Jatiya Dainiker Upor Ekti samiksha(Corporate attachment in presentation of news in national newspapers of Bangladesh: A Review on four mainstream national dailies) in 2015.
●Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy did his another Supervisory role of Masters level thesis of a student at the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka on Readability of the front page news of Bangladeshi newspapers: A critical review in 2014.
● Dr. Sudhangshu Sekhar Roy did his Supervisory role of Masters level thesis of two students at Regional Masters Program being jointly organized by the Department of Mass Communication, University of Dhaka and a Norwegian University in 2009-10. The issues of the theses of the students were: ‘Right to Information’ and ‘Mediated truth in BDR mutiny in 2009’.
● Dr. Roy performed a job of Supervisor of a fellow who under his guidance prepared a thesis on the basis of a study on a now-defunct almost hundred years old periodical of Bangladesh Hinduranjika this year. The fellowship was given to that student by Unnayan Samunnay, a non-government research organization being run by Professor Dr. Atiur Rahman, a leading Economist and Academician of Bangladesh and former Governor of Bangladesh Bank.
● Dr. Roy was involved as a voluntary Associate Editor of Communica, a journal of ‘Communication and Media’ of Bangladesh Centre for Development, Journalism and Communication (BCDJC), a leading media institute of Bangladesh.
● England: Visited England for 12 days in the month of April-May, 2013 to discuss about a research project entitled Climate Change and its impact in Sundarban: Projection in local (mainly Khulna) press under fellowship of the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka and the Department of Media and Communications, Goldsmith College, University of London.
● Germany: Participated in a two and half month long Training for the Trainers workshop held at Berlin, Germany titled ‘Improved the Training Concepts’ under auspices of International Institute for Journalism (IIJ), Berlin, Germany in 1999.Three German professors and two journalism Experts of England including John Cardownie of Birmingham had conducted the workshop.
● India: Attended in a 15- day Training course-cum-Workshop on human rights titled ‘Institution of Human Rights’ held at Bangalore, India in 1996 organized by Ecumenical Christian Centre (ECC), Bangalore, India. Some renowned Experts of India including a former Chief Justice of India Justice Venchotachalaiya had taken few sessions of the workshop.
● Attended a ‘Workshop on Reporting of Budgets’ jointly organized by the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism of Dhaka University and World Bank Institute held at BRAC Centre at Rajendrapur, Bangladesh in 2008.Three experts of World Bank Institute had conducted the workshop.
● Attended a ‘Teaching Training Workshop’ on International Humanitarian Law, jointly organized by the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism of Dhaka University and the International Committee of the Red Cross held at BRAC Centre at Rajendrapur, Bangladesh in 2006.
● Attended a10-day TOT on Investigative Journalism held at BIAM, Eskaton, Dhaka in 2002 under auspices of Danida. An expert of Denmark conducted the program.
● Attended a workshop on Parliamentary Reporting in 1999 held at Press Institute of Bangladesh (PIB) jointly organized by PIB and Commonwealth Press Union (CPU). A British expert had conducted the workshop.
● Attended a 15-day workshop on Training for Trainers held at Bangladesh Public Administration Training Centre (BPATC), Savar, Bangladesh in 1998 under auspices of BPATC. Leading training experts of BPATC including Syed Naquib Muslim, a former Secretary of Bangladesh government had taken the classes of the workshop.
● Attended a workshop on ‘Media Reporting on Population’ held at the premise of the Press Institute of Bangladesh (PIB) in 1990 jointly organized by PIB and the Centre for Foreign Journalists, USA. Mr. Ed Murrow, former president of American Societies of Newspapers had conducted the training program.
Dr. Roy maintains a very good interactive network with some media institutes both at public and private sector of Bangladesh and human rights organizations since 1992 and has been extending honorary training support for journalists and human rights activists. The institutes are:
● Press Institute of Bangladesh (PIB)
● News Network, Bangladesh
● National Institute of Mass Communication (NIMC), Bangladesh
● Mass-line Media Centre (MMC), Bangladesh
● Bangladesh Centre for Development Journalism and Communication (BCDJC)
● Society for Environment and Human Development (SEHD), Bangladesh
● Coordinating Council for Human Rights Bangladesh (CCHRB), Bangladesh
● Bangladesh Society for the Enforcement of Human Rights (BSEHR), Bangladesh
● Bangladesh Human Rights Journalists Forum, Bangladesh
● Caritas Bangladesh,
● Radio VERITAS, Bangladesh Centre
● Somoy Television, Bangladesh
Being an official of PIB Dr Roy once was directly involved with some international media institutes and donor agencies such as
● Department of Media and Communications, Goldsmith College, University of London
● International Institute for Journalism (IIJ), Berlin, Germany
● Department of Social Sciences and Humanities, Ganpat University, Gujrat, India
● Asian Media Information and Communication Centre (AMIC), Singapore
● Transparency International (Bangladesh Chapter)
● Danida, and now maintains a link with InWent of Germany.