|Name||Dr. Sharif Akhteruzzaman|
Room: TR-09, 5th floor, Science Complex Building, University of Dhaka, Dhaka-1000
Phone: 9661900~59, Ex. 7823, 7815 (Office), 9615961 (Home), 01714111267 (Mobile).
Email: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph.D. Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Tokyo, Japan (1997).
M.Sc. (Thesis), Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh (1985).
B.Sc. (Honours), Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh (1984).
1. Training on Next Generation Combined DNA Index System (NGCODIS), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), USA, September 22-26, 2013.
2. Training on 3500 Genetic Analyzer, Life Technologies, USA, December 17-20, 2012, New Delhi, India.
3. Training on 7500 Real Time PCR, Life Technologies, USA, May 3-4, 2013, New Delhi, India.
4. Online Training course on the following topics organized by the US Department of Justice, USA.
a) Crime Scene and DNA Basics for Forensic Analysts
b) DNA Extraction and Quantitation for Forensic Analysts
c) DNA Amplification for Forensic Analysts
d) Amplified DNA Product Separation for Forensic Analysts
e) STR Data Analysis and Interpretation for Forensic Analysts
5. Training course on “Forensic DNA statistics, Population Genetics and the use of DNA-VIEW software” March 26-30, 2007. DNA Profiling Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Malaysia.
6. Training course on “Forensic DNA Analysis” April 25 –May 06, 2005. Centre of Forensic Science, Strathclyde University, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
7. Training course on “STR Markers in Human Identification” September 26 – October 01, 2003, Organized by Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL), Kolkata, India.
8. Training course on “Parasite Bioinformatics: Application in Genomic Studies”, January 17 – 23, 2002, Organized by International Centre for Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology (ICGEB), New Delhi, India.
9. Training course on “Molecular and Cell Biology”, November 14 – 16, 2001, Kanaya, Japan, jointly organized by Japan Science promotion Society (JSPS) and Nagoya University, Japan.
10. ICRO-UNESCO training course on “Basic aspects for industrial development of Biotechnology and Cell Biology”, January 29- February 9, 2001, Nagoya University, Japan.
11. Training course on “Emerging trends in DNA-based Diagnosis” 24th Feb – March 7th 1999, CCMB/CDFD, Hyderabad, India.
Japanese Monbusho Scholarship
1. Chairman: Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka -1000, Bangladesh. (August 10th, 2014 - to date)
2. National Technical Advisor: National Forensic DNA Profiling Laboratory Dhaka Medical College. (current), Bangladesh.
3. Professor: Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka -1000, Bangladesh. (July 25th, 2014 - to date)
4. Professor: Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka –1000, Bangladesh. (June 18, 2007 – July 24, 2014)
5. Associate Professor: Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka –1000, Bangladesh (April 18, 2002 – June 17, 2007).
6. Assistant Professor: Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka –1000, Bangladesh. (July 06, 1997 - April 17, 2002)
7. Lecturer: Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka –1000, Bangladesh (March 31, 1990 – July 05, 1997)
1. DNA Fingerprinting and Forensic DNA profiling
2. Population Genetics
3. Molecular diagnosis
a) Short Tandem Repeat (STR) allele frequency database of mainstream Bangladeshi and several other ethnic population using human identification markers available worldwide.
b) Y-Chromosome haplotype diversity in Bangladeshi population.
c) X-Chromosome haplotype diversity in Bangladeshi population
d) Mitochondrial DNA polymorphism in Bangladeshi population
e) Chromosomal aneuploidy screening of Bangladeshi population
1. T. Hossain, Md.M. Hasan, A.K. Mazumder, P. Momtaz, T. Sharmin, A. Sufian, S.A. Das, S. Akhteruzzaman, Population genetic data on 15 autosomal STR loci in Bangladeshi population, Forensic Science International:Genetics (2014), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2014.04.012
2. Md. Mahamud Hasan, Tania Hossain, Ashish Kumar Majumder, Pilu Momtaz, Tarana Sharmin, Abu Sufian and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. An efficient DNA extraction method from bone and tooth samples by complete demineralization followed by the use of silica-based columns. Dhaka Univ. J. of Biol. Sci. 23(2): 101-107, 2014 (July). (Online: http://www.banglajol.info/index.php/DUJBS).
3. Md. Mahamud Hasan, Pilu Momtaz, Ismail Hosen and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Population genetics of 17 Y-chromosomal STRs loci in Garo and Santal tribal populations in Bangladesh. International Journal of Legal Medicine. DOI: 10.1007/s00414-014-0981-5. February, 2014.
4. Ismail Hosen, Arif Mohammad Tanmoy, Deena-Al-Mabuba, Umme Salam, Mohammad Nazim, Md. Tariqul Islam and Sharif Akhteruzzaman, Application of a Subtractive Genomics Approach for in silico Identification and Characterization of Novel Drug Targets in Mycobacterium tuberculosis F11. Interdisciplinary Sciences: Computational Life Sciences. 6: 48-56, 2014. DOI:10.1007/s12539-014-0188-y
5. Sharif akhteruzzaman, Sudipta Arka Das, Ismail Hosen and Ahmad Ferdous. Genetic polymorphism of 30 InDel markers for forensic use in Bangladeshi population. Forensic Science International: Genetics Supplement Series, 4, e1-e2, 2013. (Web link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigss.2013.10.177). October, 2013.
6. Sharif akhteruzzaman, Ahmad Ferdous and Tania Hossain. Identification and characterization of variant allele 34.1 at short tandem repeat (STR) locus D21S1. Dhaka Univ. J. Biol. Sci. 22(2): 85-90, 2013. (Online: http://www.banglajol.info/index.php/DUJBS/article/view/8831/6547).
7. Sharif akhteruzzaman, Ahmad Ferdous, Pilu Momtaz and Rebeka Sultana. Forensic evaluation of 11 non-standard STR loci in Bangladeshi population. Legal Medicine. 15: 106-108, 2013. (Web link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.legalmed.2012.08.011 ).
8. M Mesbah Uddin, Sharif Akhteruzzaman, Taibur Rahman, A.K.M. Mahbub Hasan, and Hossain Uddin Shekhar, Pattern of -Thalassemia and Other Haemoglobinopathies: A cross sectional study in Bangladesh. ISRN Hematology. 2012, Article ID 659191, doi:10.5402/2012/659191. (Online: http://www.isrn.com/journals/hematology/2012/659191/)
9. Sharif akhteruzzaman, Ashish Kumar Majumder, Ahmad Ferdous and Md. Euns Ali, False paternity with one or two mismatches using commercial STR kits. Australian J. Forensic Sci. 1-7, 2012. (Web link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00450618.2011.650209).
10. Kazi Nadim Hsan, Fahmida Nasrin, M. Abu Taher, Sharif Neaz, Sohidul Islam, Obaidur Rahman, Israt Jabeen, M. Abdul Khaleqe and Sharif Akhteruzzaman, Comparative analysis of Hepatitis C virus (HCV) RNA, anti-HCV and liver transaminase levels as markers and predictors of infectivity in HCV infection. Bangladesh J of Medical Sciences, 18(2): 120-125, 2012.
11. Shafiul Alam, Ahmad Ferdous, Mohammad Eunus Ali, Tania Hossain, Mahamud Hasan and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Concordance between the AmpFlSTR SGM Plus and PowerPlex 16 system human identification kit in Bangladeshi population. Journal of Forensic Research. 2:116. doi:10.4172/2157- 7145.1000116, January, 2011. (Online:http://www.omicsonline.org/2157-7145/2157-7145-2-116.php).
12. Shafiul Alam, Ahmad Ferdous, Md. Eunus Ali, Asma Ahmed, Apala Farhat Naved and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Forensic microsatellite TH01 and malaria predisposition. Dhaka Univ. J. Biol. Sci. 20(1): 1-6, 2011 (January). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3329/dujbs.v20i1.8831.(Online: http://www.banglajol.info/index.php/DUJBS/article/view/8831/6547).
13. Ahmad Fersous, Mohammad Eunus Ali, Shafiul Alam, Mahamud Hasan, Tania hossain and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Allele frequencies of ten autosomal STR loci from Chakma and Tripura Tribal populations in Bangladesh. Molecular Biology International Vol. 2010, Article ID 740152, 5 pages, 2010. doi:10.4061/2010/740152. (Online: http://www.sage-hindawi.com/journals/mbi/2010/740152.cta.html).
14. Shafiul Alam, Md. Eunus Ali, Ahmad Ferdous, Tania Hossain and Mahmud Hassan and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Haplotype diversity of 16-Y chromosomal STR loci in Bangladeshi population. Forensic Sci. Int. Genetics. 4: e59-e60, 2010. (Online: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/fsig).
15. Md. Eunus Ali, Shafiul Alam, Ahmad Ferdous, Md. Mahamud Hasan, Tania Hossain and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Mutation in the FGA locus of father causing allele mismatch in the child in a DNA paternity test. Dhaka Univ. J. Biol. Sci. 18(2): 91-98, 2009 (July).
16. Ahamd Ferdous, Md. Eunus Ali, Shafiul Alam, Mahamud Hasan, Tania Hossain, and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Suitability of a commercial filter paper as storage and transport medium of DNA in liquid blood for PCR amplification. Bangladesh J. Med. Sci 15(1): 33-36, 2009.
17. Ahamd Ferdous, Md. Eunus Ali, Shafiul Alam, Mahamud Hasan, Tania Hossain, and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Mutation in paternally transmitted allele at FGA locus: a case of allele mismatch in child. Indian J. Forensic Med and Toxicology 3(3): 41-43, 2009 (Online: http://www.ijfmt.com)
18. Ahamd Ferdous, Md. Eunus Ali, Shafiul Alam, Mahamud Hasan, Tania Hossain, and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Forensic Evaluation of STR data for the PowerPlex 16 system loci in a Bangladeshi population. Legal Medicine 11: 193-199, 2009 (Online: http://ees.elsevier.com/legmed)
19. Sharif Akhteruzzaman, Shafiul Alam, Ahamad Ferdous, Md. Eunus Ali, Tania Hossain and Mahamud Hasan. Y-Chromosome haplotype data of Bangladeshi population in international database, Y-Chromosome Haplotype Reference Database (YHRD). Dhaka Univ. J. Biol. Sci. 18(1): 87-90, 2009 (January).
20. Sharif Akhteruzzaman, Md. Eunus Ali, Ahamad Ferdous, Shafiul Alam, Tania Hossain and Mahamud Hasan. Review: DNA Evidence, New Era in Criminal Justice System. Bangladesh J. Med.Sci. 14(1): 80-89, 2008.
21. Eunus Ali , Ahamd Ferdous, Shafiul Alam, Ummey Hany, Tania Hossain, Mahmud Hasan and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Identification of variant alleles at AmpFlSTR SGM Plus STR loci in a sample population of Bangladesh. African J. Biotechnology 7(20): 3603-3605, 2008. (Available online: http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB).
22. Md. Mejbah Uddin, Md. Mashiul Azam, Nizamuddin Chowdhury and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. ACE gene polymorphism in patients with type II diabetes mellitus. J. Med. Sciences ANSInet 7(4): 682-685, 2007. (Available online: http://www.ansinet.org/journals.php)
23. Rehana Parvin, Mejbah Uddin, Md. Mashiul Azam and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Prevalence and spectrum of beta-thalassemia and other hemoglobinopathies in a selected population of Bangladesh. Bangladesh J Medical Sciences. 12(2): 132-135, 2006.
24. ASM Maruf Iftekhar, Ishrat Rayhan, Mohiuddin Abdul Quadir, Sharif Akhteruzzaman and Abul Hasnat. Effect of Tamarindus indica fruits on blood pressure and lipid profile in human model: an in vivo approach. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 19(2): 125-9, 2006. (Available online: http://www.pakmedinet.com/ journal.php).
25. Ahmad Ferdous, Mohammad Eunus Ali , Shafiul Alam, Tania Hossain. Ummey Hany, Jørgen Dissing and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Genetic data on 10 autosomal STR loci in the Bangladeshi Population. Legal Medicine. 8: 297-299, 2006. (Available online: http://ees.elsevier.com/legmed )
26. Sebok Kumar Halder and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Allele frequency of three STR loci D16S539, D7S820 and D13S317 in a Bangladeshi Population Sample. Biotechnology, ANSInet 5(2): 180-182, 2006. (Available online: http://www.ansinet.org/journals.php)
27. Minhaz Uddin Ahmed and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Apolipoprotein E (Apo E) Gene Polymorphism in the Bangladeshi Population and its Comparison with other Asian Populations. J. Med. Sciences ANSInet 6(2):203-208, 2006. (Available online at http://www.ansinet.org/journals.php)
28. Naima Zahir and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Association of ACE gene polymorphism with Coronary Artery Disease (CAD). Bangladesh J Medical Sciences. 11(1): 45-48, 2005.
29. M.Shahabuddin and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Evaluation of total antioxidant status (TAS) in CVD patients with or without diabetes. Bangladesh J Medical Sciences 10(2): 80-84, 2004.
30. Akhteruzzaman S. Review: Molecular Genetics of Human Hypertension: New treatment approach Bangladesh J Medical Sciences 9(1): 51-51, 2003.
31. Shamima Akhtar, Saiful Islam, H.U Shaekhar and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Evaluation of the diagnostic effectiveness for routine liver function tests. Bangladesh Journal of Biochemistry. 7(1-2): 27-36, 2002.
32. S. Akhteruzzaman, M., Aftab Uddin and S.C. Bachar. Isolation and Identification of a Triterpenoid from Euphorbia thymifolia Linn. Dhaka University Journal of Phramaceutical Sciences 1(1-2): 43-46, 2002.
33. Mizanoor Rahman, M. Nazmul Huda, M. Nasir Uddin and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Short-term administration of conjugated linoleic acid reduces liver triglyceride concentration and phosphatidate phosphohydrolase activity in OLETF rats. Journal of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology. 35(5): 494-497, 2002. (Available online at http://www.biochem.or.kr/jbmb.htm)
34. M. Morshed, Haseena Khan and S. Akhteruzzaman, Association of angiotensin-I converting enzyme (ACE) gene polymorphism with hypertension in a Bangladesh population. Journal of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology. 35(3):251-254, 2002. (Available online at http://www.biochem.or.kr/jbmb.htm).
35. Nilufer Jesmin Khan, M. Aftab Uddin and Sharif Akhteruzzaman, Purification and characterization of endoglucanase (1,4-beta-D-glucan glucanhydrolase) from Microcerotermes sp. Bangladesh J. Biochemistry., 6:31-47, 2000.
36. S. Akhteruzzaman, Yukio Kato, Hirokazu Kouzuki, Hiroshi Suzuki, Akihiro,Hisaka, Bruno Stieger, Peter J. Meier, and Yuichi Sugiyama, Carrier-mediated hepatic uptake of peptidic endothelin antagonists in rats, J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 290:1107-1115, 1999. (Available online at http://www.jpet.org).
37. Yukio Kato, S. Akhteruzzaman, Akihiro Hisaka, and Yuichi Sugiyama, Hepatobiliary Transport Governs Overall Elimination of Peptidic Endothelin Antagonists in Rats, J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 288(2):568-574, 1999. (Available online at http://www.jpet.org)
38. Yukio Kato, S. Akhteruzzaman, Akihiro Hisaka, and Yuichi Sugiyama, Primary Active Transport of Peptidic Endothelin Antagonists on Rat Hepatic Canalicular Membrane, J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 288(2): 575-581, 1999. (Available online at http://www.jpet.org).
39. S. Akhteruzzaman, Y. Kato, A. Hisaka and Y. Sugiyama, Recognition specificity of small peptides by the transport system in liver, Proceedings, 23rd International Symposium on Controlled Release of Bioactive Materials, p. 439-440, July 7 -10, 1996, Kyoto, Japan.
40. S. Shahnaj, S. Sarkar, S. Akhteruzzaman and Y. Kabir, Effect of Auricularia polytricha mushroom on serum lipids in rats fed hypercholesterolemic diet, Dhaka Univ.J. Biol.Sci. 5 (2) : 165 - 172 , 1996 (July).
41. A. Hossain, S. Mallik, H.U. Shakhar and S. Akhteruzzaman, Antibacterial activity of a locally isolated Bacillus polymyxa AH-1, Dhaka Univ.J. Biol.Sci. 5 (1) : 87 -89 , 1996 (January).
42. A. Hossain, S. Mallik, H.U. Shakhar and S. Akhteruzzaman, Isolation and identification of a Bacillus polymyxa strains, Dhaka Univ.J. Biol.Sci. 4 (2) : 193 - 196, 1995 (January).
43. A. Hossain, S.K. Shaha, S. Akhteruzzaman, Yearul Kabir, and M. Rahman, Studies on extracellular protease activity from locally isolated Bacillus thuringiensis strains, Dhaka Univ.J. Biol.Sci. 3 (1) : 83-87, 1994 (January).
44. S. Akhteruzzaman and N.H. Khan, Antibacterial activity of ten plant extracts, Dhaka Univ.J. Biol.Sci. 1 (1) : 89-93, 1992 (July).
Book and Book Chapters
1. Bichar Bebosthai DNA Projukti. Rup publishers, 2011 (ISBN: 984-300-001618-8)
2. Book Chapter: Forensic Biggayn-e DNA projukti. Bongshogotir Mul Kotha O Gin Projukti. Editor: Ahmed Shamshul Islam, Scholars Publications Ltd, 2011.
Contributor of Bangladeshi population DNA data to international database: Contributed Y-chromosome haplotype data of the following populations of Bangladesh to international Y-DNA repository, the Y-chromosome Haplotype Reference Database (YHRD, www.yhrd.org):
1. Bengali (Mainstream population, Bangladesh)
2. Garo (Tangail, Bangladesh)
3. Santal (Dinajpur, Bangladesh)