|Name||Dr. Md. Aftab Uddin|
Room: TR-07, 5th floor, Science Complex Building, University of Dhaka, Dhaka-1000
Phone: 01715120302, Office Ex.- 7823
Ph.D, Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Tokyo, Japan, 1993
M.Sc. (thesis), Biochemistry, University of Dhaka, 1983 (held in 1987)
B.Sc. (Honours), Biochemistry, University of Dhaka, 1982 (held in 1984)
Post-doctoral, University of Tohoku, Japan, 1999
Japanese Monbusho Scholarship, 1989.
UNESCO Fellowship for Post-Doc. level, 1999
Lecturer, Department of Biochemistry, University of Dhaka, October 1988 - July 1993
Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, University of Dhaka, July 1993 - May 24, 1998
Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of Dhaka, May 25, 1998 - Feb. 2003
Professor, Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of Dhaka, February 2, 2003 - April 25, 2011
Professor of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Dhaka, April 26, 2011 to till date
Enzymology, Insect defence mechanism, plant Biotechnology, Chemistry for biologist, Biochemistry of drugs.
Original Research Article:
1. Khan, N.H., M. Aftab Uddin, M. Rahman, M.K. Rahman, and M.S.A. Nur-E-Kamal, 1989. Antibacterial Activities of Plant Extracts. Part IV. Biological Studies on the Extract of Euphorbia thymifolia Linn. Dhaka University Studies, Part E, 4(11): 17-26, January.
2. Md. Khalilur Rahman, Md. Altaf Hossain Sarker, and Md. Aftab Uddin, 1990. Dipeptidyl- Aminopeptidasae IV Activity in Central and Peripheral Tissues and Serum of Healthy and Malnourished Rats. The Dhaka University Studies. Part E. 5(1): 1-5, January.
3. M. Aftab Uddin and Nasreen Jahan, 1995. Agarase activity in the jute yellow mites extract and some of its properties. Dhaka Univ. J. Biol. Sci. 4(2):145-152, July.
4. Harun K.M. Yusuf, Kamrul Hoque, M. Aftab Uddin, Badal C. Roy, and Fernand Lambein, 1995. Homoarginine antagonizes the toxcicity of Lathyrus toxin in 1-day-old chicks. Bang. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. Vol. 10, No. 2: 74-75, January.
5. M. Aftab Uddin, P.M. Dastogir, Zeba I. Seraj, and M. M. Rahman, 1996. Xylanase activity in the termite extract. Published in the Abstract of Papers of Bangladesh Association for the Advancement of Science (BAAS). Nineteenth Bangladesh Science Conference, Section II. 29-31, October 1996.
6. M. Aftab Uddin, M. Nazmul Huda, and N. Hoque Khan, 1997. High-performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) determination of diosbulbin D and 8-epidiosbulbin E acetate in Dioscorea bulbifera tubers. Bangladesh Journal of Biochemistry. 2(2): 95-101.
7. A. S. Shamsur Rouf, Biplop K. Mitra, Joydev K. Kundu and Md. Aftab Uddin. 1999. Cytotoxic and antibacterial activity of Solanum xanthocarpum. The Dhaka University Journal of Biological Sciences. 8(1): 73-77.
8. A.S.Shamsur Rouf, Biplop K. Mitra, Joydev K. Kundu and Md. Aftab Uddin. 1997. Cardioactive and Antipyretic activity of Solanum xanthocarpum. Bangladesh Journal of Biochemistry. 3(2): 69-74.
9. Md. Iqbal Hassan Khan, M. Aftab Uddin, Md. Abdul Malek and Md. Majibur Rahman. 1998. Purification and Characterization of extracellular β-1,3-glucanase of Saccharomyces cervesiae DSM 2155. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology. 15: (1), 15-23.
10. Md. Ali Asgar and Md. Aftab Uddin. 1998. Isolation and characterization of two lectin fraction from the seeds of Horse Gram (Dolichos biflorus). The Dhaka University Journal of Biological Sciences, 7(2):171-177.
11. Joydeb K. Kundu, Abu Shara S. Rouf, Md. Nazmul Hossain and M. Aftab Uddin. 1999. Antitumor activity of Vitis trifolia Linn. (Family-vitaceae). Bangladesh Journal of Biochemistry. 5: 43-48.
12. Muktadir Shahid Hossain, M. Aftab Uddin, A. Rashid Gomosta and M. Anwar Hossain. 2000. Effects of ethylene on some submergence-tolerant and susceptible rice (Oryza sativa L.) varieties of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Biochemistry. 6: 1-17.
13. Nilufer Jesmin Khan, M. Aftab Uddin and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. 2000. Purification and characterization of endoglucanase (1,4-beta-D-glucan glucanhydrolase) from Microcero termis. Bangladesh Journal of Biochemistry.6: 31- 43.
14. Sharif Akhteruzzaman, Md. Aftab Uddin and Sitesh Chandra Bachar. 2002. Isolation and Identification of a Triterpenoid from Euphorbia thymifolia. Dhaka Univ. J Pharm. Sci. 1(1-2): 43-46, 2002.
15. Mohammad Shaphiullah, Sitesh Chandra Bachar, Joydeb Kumar Kundu, Farida Begum, M. Aftab Uddin, Suvash Chandra Roy and Mohammad Tareq Hossain Khan. 2003. Antidiarrheal Activity of the Methanol Extract of Ludwigia hyssopifolia Linn.. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. Vol. 16, No.1, pp.7-11. 2003.
16. M. Abdullahhel Amin, M. Aftab Uddin and M. Anwar Hossain. 2003. Regeneration Study of some Indica Rice Cultivars Followed by Agrobacterium-Mediated Transformation of Highly Regenerable Cultivar, BR-8. Journal of Biological Sciences 4 (2 ): 207-211, 2004.
17. Mohammed Rahamatullah, Keshab K. Adhikary, Tahera Sultana, A.H.M. Zulfiquar Ali, M. Aftab Uddin, A.B.M. Faroque, M. Selim Rahman, N. Hasan, Rownak Jahan. 2006. Food Additives and Food Colors- A Bangladesh Perspective. The University of Development Alternative (UODA) Studies -a Journal. 2(1): 79-194, April, 2006.
18. Rawnak Jahan, Keshab K. Adhikari, Sazzadul Bari, A.B.M. Anwarul Bashar, M. Aftab Uddin and Mohammed Rahmatullah. 2006. An Ethanobotanical Survey of Lupeol Containing Medicinal Plants Belonging to the same Genera. UODA Studies –a scientific journal. 2(2): 43-108, December 2006.
19. Sajal Kumar Saha, Mithun Sarker, Tusar Kanti Pal, Sitesh Chandra Bachar, Md Aftab Uddin, Abdullah-Al-Emran. 2011. Assessment of changes of Biochemical Parameters and Liver Toxicity analysis with Pioglitazone on Bangladeshi healthy Volunteers (NPHB-2011-0660) - submitted in Pharmaceutical Biology.
20. Sajal Kumar Saha, Tusar Kanti Pal, Sitesh Chandra Bachar, Md Aftab Uddin,Abdullah-Al-Emran. 2011. In-vitro-in-vivo correlation studies of 30mg Pioglitazone Hydrochloride immediate release tablet. Manuscript in preparation.
21. Sajal Kumar Saha, Masuma Parvin, Abdullah-Al-Emran, Sitesh Chandra Bachar, Md Aftab Uddin, Md Showkat Ali, A .K. Azad Chowdhury.2011. Pharmacokinetics Study of Pioglitazone Hydrochloride 30 mg Tablet in Healthy Bangladeshi volunteers. Manuscript in preparation.
1. Aftab Uddin, M., Rahman, M.K., and Naved, A.F., 1989. Effect of Lathyrus sativus on Aromatic L-Amino acid Decarboxylase in the Central and Peripharal Tissues of Guinea-Pigs. Published in the Abstracts of Paper of Bangladesh Association for the Advancement of Science. Fourteenth Annual Bangladesh Science Conference, Section VI. 27-30, January.
2. M. Khalilur Rahman, M. A. Hossain Sarker, M. Aftab Uddin and Apala F. Naved, 1993. Effect of Lathyrus sativus and Vitmin C on the activities of aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase and dipeptidyl aminopeptidase-IV in the central and peripheral tissues and serum of guinea pigs. In Lathyrus sativus and Human Lathyrism: Progress and Prospects (Yusuf H.K.M., Lambein F., eds.). Proc. 2nd Int. Colloq. Lathyrus/Lathyrism. Dhaka, 10-12 December, 1993. University of Dhaka, pp. 237-241.
3. Harun K. M. Yusuf, M. Kamrul Haque, M. Aftab Uddin, Badal C. Roy, Zakaria Shamim, M. Salim Hossain and Fernand Lambein, 1997. Mechanism of ODAP toxicity in one-day-old chicks. In Proceedings of International Meeting on Molecular Mechanisms of Toxicity (Eds. C.Subramanyam and Surya S.Shingh) Osmania University, Hyderabad, India, pp. 16-22.
4. M. Khalilur Rahman, M. Altaf Hossain Sarker, and M. Aftab Uddin, 1993. Dipeptidyl- aminopeptidase IV activity in central and peripheral tissues and in serum of healthy and malnourished rats. Published in the Abstract of Papers of nutrition Society of Bangladesh. Sixth Bangladesh Nutrition Conference, Section : Clinical Nutrition. 27-29, November.
5. Harun K.M.Yusuf, M. Kamrul Haque, M.Aftab Uddin, Badal C. Roy and Fernand Lasmbein. 1995. Homoarginine antagonizes the toxicity of Lathyrus sativus toxin in one-day-old chicks. Lathyrus and lathyrism, a decade of progress. Proceedings of an international conference. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia,(Eds. Redda Tekle Haimanot and Fernand Lambein), University of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and University of Ghent, Belgium, pp.15-18. November 27-29.
6. M. Anwar Hossain, M. Aftab Uddin, M. Nazmul Huda, Noorain Munim, Renzinz Fatema, M. Motarrob Hossain M. Nasreen, K. Reaz Fattah, Farzana Jahan and A. Rashid Gomosta. 1997. Submergence-tolerance in some rice (Oryza sativa L.) varieties of Bangladesh. Published in "General Meeting of The International Program on Rice Biotechnology, September 15-19; Malacca, Malaysia." PP.157.
7. M.A. Hossain, M.A. Uddin, M.N. Huda, N. Munim, M. Nasreen, F. Jahan, R. Fattah and A.R. Gomosta. 1998. Towards developing submergence tolerance in rice. In: Larkin PJ (ed.) Agricultural Biotechnology: Labboratory, Field and Market. Proceedings of the 4th Asia-Pacific conference on Agricultural Biotechnology. Darwin 13-16 July 1998. Canberra, UTC Publishing. pp. 213-215.
8. M. Aftab Uddin, Abdullah H. Amin, Sanjeeda Ahmed, M. Shahidul Islam, Monwar Aziz, M. Anwar Hossain and A. Rashid Gomosta. 1999. Some biochemical aspects of submergence-tolerance in local Bangladesh rice varieties. In “General meeting of the International program on rice biotechnology abstracts.” Phuket, Thailand. September 20-24, 1999. pp. 375.
1. M.Sc. THESIS : "Antibacterial Agents from Euphorbia thymifolia Linn."
Accepted by the University of Dhaka in partial fulfillment of the requirement for the degree of Master of Science in Biochemistry.
2. Ph. D. THESIS : "Purification and Characterization of a Candidacidal substance from the Hemolymph of Sarcophaga peregrina Larvae". Accepted by the University of Tokyo, Japan in partial fulfillment of the requirement for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Pharmaceutical Sciences. Published in Tokyo University Ph.D. Profile book. 1992, December, 24-26. pp.25-27.
1. Discovering Biochemical Sciences: A Laboratory Manual. By Ruhul Kuddus, Aftab Uddin, S.M. Mahbubur Rashid. 2013.