Md. Miraj Kobad Chowdhury
Room: TR-10, 5th floor, Science Complex Building,
University of Dhaka, Dhaka-1000
Phone: 966-1920 Office Ex.-7816
Fax: +880 (2) 861-5583
MSc: Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia.
BS: Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Dhaka.
Honors and Awards
- EMMAsia Fellow, University of Padova, Italy. 2014.
- Michael Cuccione Graduate Fellowship, UBC, Canada. 2009.
- Dean’s Award-2008, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Dhaka.
- Provost Award-2007, Amar Ekushey Hall, Dhaka University.
- University of Dhaka Graduate, Undergraduate, and Hall Scholarship.
- One of the top 100 participants of Innocentive Inc.
1. Associate Professor (March 2017 – to date): Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
2. Assistant Professor (October 2012 – March 2017): Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
3. Lecturer (September 2008 - September 2012): Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Original Research Articles:
- Rahman T, Heickal H, Tabrejee S, Chowdhury MMK, Sarwar SM, Shoyaib M. SeqDev: An Algorithm for Constructing Genetic Elements Using Comparative Assembly. Plant Tissue Cult. & Biotech. 2016. 26(1):105-121, 2016.
- Mahmud J*, Chowdhury MK*, Sami AB, Akhand AA, Ahsan N. DU Jour. Pharm. Sci. * = equal contribution.
- Anamika WJ, Chowdhury MK, Nahid MA, Rouf ASS, Uddin MA. Chemical and biological potentialities of the ethyl acetate extracts of Drynaria quercifolia tuber and leaf. Dhaka Univ. J. Bio. Sci. 2015. 24(2):147-52.
- Chowdhury MK, Moniruzzaman M, Emran AA, Mostafa MG, Kuddus RH, Uddin MA. TP53 Codon 72 Polymorphisms and Lung Cancer Risk in the Bangladeshi Population. Asian Pac. J. Cancer Prev. 2015. 16(8):3493-8.
- Fam HK*, Walton C*, Mitra SA*, Chowdhury M*, Osborne N, Choi K, Sun G, Wong PCW, O’Sullivan MJ, Turashvili G, Aparicio S, Triche TJ, Bond M, Pallen CJ, Boerkoel CF. Tyrosyl-DNA phosphodiesterase 1 (TDP1) and Poly (ADP-Ribose) Polymerase-1 (PARP-1) deficiency are cytotoxic to rhabdomyosarcoma cells. Mol. Cancer Res. 2013. 11(10):1179-92. * = equal contribution.
- Fam HK*, Chowdhury MK*, Walton C, Choi K, Boerkoel CF, Hendson G. J. Mol. Histol. 2013. 44(4):481-94. * = equal contribution.
- Hossain R, Chowdhury MK, Yeasmin S, Hoq MM. Production of ethanol using yeast isolates on water hyacinth and Azolla. Bang. J. Microb. 2010. 27(2):55-60.
- Chowdhury MK, Ahsan N, Akhand AA. Comparative antibacterial effects of leaf extracts of Azadirachta indica and Terminalia arjuna and aggregation of bacterial proteins. Jour. Trop. Med. Plant. 2009. 10(1):31-38.
- Chowdhury MK, Ahsan N, Akhand AA. Leaf Extracts of Azadirachta indica and Terminalia arjuna Induce Death of HeLa cells without DNA Degradation. DU Jour. Pharm. Sci. 2009. 8(1):75-79.
Books and Book Chapters
- Fam HK, Chowdhury MK, Boerkoel CF. 2012. “Spinocerebellar ataxia with axonal neuropathy: a disorder of nuclear and mitochondrial DNA repair” in Spinocerebellar Ataxia, Edited by Jose Gazulla, first edition. ISBN: 978-953-51-0542-8.
- Easmin R, Tabrejee S, Rowshon L, Gias AU, Chowdhury MK, Khaled SM. In 8th International Conference on Software, Knowledge, Information Management and Applications. December, 2014
- Rahman T, Chowdhury T, Tabrejee S, Chowdhury MK, Shoyaib M. 8th International Conference on Software, Knowledge, Information Management and Applications. December, 2014
Fam HK, Chowdhury MK, Walton C, Choi K, Hendson G, Boerkoel CF. Elucidating the role of mitochondrial Tdp1 in response to oxidative stress. Mitochondrion. 2013. 13(6):916.
- Title: Tdp1 is a mitochondrial DNA repair enzyme. Presenter: Chowdhury MK. Venue: United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation Scientific Meeting-2011, Chicago.
- Title: Extracts of Azadirachta indica and Terminalia arjuna induce death of cancer cells and show antibacterial activity. Presenter: Chowdhury MK. Venue: International Biotechnology Conference-2008, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Title: Funcional loss of Tdp1 in mouse result in retinal damage. Authors: Chowdhury MK, Fam A, Choi K, Boerkoel CF. Venue: ACMG Annual Meeting-2011, Vancouver. p-265.
- Title: Tdp1: a rationale anticancer target. Authors: Chowdhury MK, Osborne N, Walton C, Turashvili G, Choi K, Aparicio S, Bond M, Pallen C, Boerkoel CF. Venue: Annual Genomics Forum of Genome British Columbia-2010, Vancouver. p-10.
- Title: miRNA signaling pathways in cancer development. Authors: Chowdhury MK. Venue: Miami winter symposia-2008, Florida.