Details of Tarana Sharmin
Lecturer, Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
University of Dhaka, Dhaka.
Address: Room No: TR-09, 5th floor, Science Complex Building
University of Dhaka, Dhaka-1000
Phone: +8809661900-73 Ext.7816
- MS(Thesis) Dept. of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Dhaka.
- BS (Honors) Dept. of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Dhaka.
- Lecturer, Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka. 04 /Aug/2014 to date.
- DNA Analyst (Scientific Officer), National Forensic DNA Profiling Laboratory, Ministry of Women and Children Affairs, Government of Peoples Republic of Bangladesh. 23/ Feb/2012 to 27 /July/2014.
Honors and Awards:
- National Science, Information and Communication Technology (NSICT) Fellowship by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Peoples Republic of Bangladesh.
- Deans Award by the Dean of “The Faculty of Biological Sciences”, University of Dhaka.
- Dhaka University Alumni Association Scholarship for BS result.
- National Education Board Scholarship for Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) Examination result.
- National Education Board Scholarship for Secondary School Certificate (SSC) Examination result.
Professional /Special Training:
- Training, Facilitation & Presentation skills (ToT) 18-22 November,2012 Dhaka. Multi Sectorial Program on Violence against Women,Ministry of Women and Children Affairs, Government of Peoples Republic of Bangladesh.
- Advances in Genetics: Clinical and Research Applications. March 3-5 ,2014 at Institute of developing science & health initiatives (ideshi), Dhaka.
- Field Experience PlacementatInternational Centre for Diarrheal Disease Research , Bangladesh (ICDDR,B) Dhaka (2011-2012)
- Strategies in reducing the burden of influenza infections in slum, Dhaka. Department of Microbiology, University of Dhaka.
- Training on Statistical data analysis for Biological Sciences organized byInstitute of Statistical Research and Training (ISRT), University of Dhaka.
- Training of Analyzing DNA profile data using combined DNA Index System (CODIS) software by Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) of U.S. Department of Justice.
- Training on Human Identification 3500 (HID) with ABI Genetic Analyzer by INVITROGEN BIOSERVICES INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED at Gurgaon, India.
Area of Application:
Forensic DNA Profiling, Microbiology, Molecular Genetics, Environmental Biotechnology.
- Young Bangladeshi Biotechnologist (Young BB)
- Bangladesh Society for Bioinformatics
- Sharif Akhteruzzaman,T.Hossain, M.Hasan, Tarana SharminA. Mazumder, P. Momtaz, A.Sufian, S.Das, Population Genetic data on 15autosomal STR loci in Bangladeshi Population. Forensic Science International: Genetics, May, 2014. (Impact factor:4.604)
- Sharif Akhteruzzaman, T.Hossain,Tarana Sharmin A .Mazumder, M.Hasan, P.Momtaz. An efficient DNA extraction method from Bone and Teeth samples by complete demineralization followed by the use of Silica-based columns. The Dhaka University Journal of Biological Sciences. Vol: 23, No:2, July 2014.
- Sharif Akhteruzzaman ,Tarana Sharmin, M.Hasan. A case study on limitations of commercial autosomal STR kits for determination of half-sibling by DNA analysis. Asian Australasian Journal of Bioscience and Biotechnology. 14 April, 2016. 1(1), 148-151
- Abu Ashfaqur Sajib, Md. Mahamud Hasan, Md. Mahmudul Hasan, Tarana Sharmin, and Sharif Akhteruzzaman. Genetic polymorphism study at D1S80 VNTR in four major tribal populations (Garo, Santal, Khasia and Monipuri) of Bangladesh, Asian Australasian. Journal of Bioscience and Biotechnology. 2016, 1 (2), 386-393, August, 2016.