Details of Dr Muhammad Shahin Miah CPA
Dr. Muhammad Shahin is an Assistant Professor, Department of International Business, Faculty of Business Studies, University of Dhaka. He completed his PhD in International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) at Massey University, New Zealand in 2017. His PhD thesis entitled as “Accounting Standards Complexity, Audit fees, and Analyst Forecasts in Australia”, which investigates the impact of accounting complexity arising from IFRS on users of financial accounting information namely auditors and financial analysts. Dr. Shahin worked as lecturer in different Universities including Auckland University of Technology (AUT, New Zealand), Massey University, University of Southern Queensland (USQ-Australia), Jagannath University (Bangladesh), and East West University (Bangladesh). Dr. Shahin also worked as member of external moderation committee in different tertiary institutes in New Zealand. Notably, he also worked as leader of External Evaluation Review (EER) Team (from tertiary institute-side) which works in collaboration with New Zealand Qualification Authority (NZQA). His area of specialization is international financial reporting standards, analyst forecast properties, capital market-based studies, information quality, earnings management, and Auditing. His research has been published in different journals including The Cost and Management (ICMAB), Journal of Business Studies, The Bangladesh Accountant (ICAB), International Journal of Business Research and Management, and ASA Business Review.
- PhD (New Zealand)
- MBA (Dhaka)
- BBA (Dhaka)
Memberships and Affiliations:
Accounting & Finance Association Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ) , British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA).
Semester 1, 2018
- IB 401: International Accounting and Auditing Standards
- IB 102: Principles and Practices of Accounting
- Miah, M.S., M, M. Hossain, and A. Noor. (2015). The Role of Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to Ensure Good Governance in Corporate Sector: The Bangladesh Perspective, Journal of Business Studies, Vol. 2 (No.1)
- Islam, M. S., M. S. Miah, and A. N. M.Fakir. (2015). Environmental Accounting and Reporting Practices in the Corporate Sector of Bangladesh. Journal of Business Studies, Vol. 2, No.(2)
- Fakir, A. N. M., M. S. Miah, and M. S. Hossain. (2013). Export Diversification and Role of Export Processing Zones (EPZ) in Bangladesh. ASA University Review, Vol.7 (1)
- Miah, M.S., M. Z. Islam, and N. Islam. (2012). Value Relevance of Earning per Share (EPS) and Net Asset Value per Share (NAV): Association with and Implication on Stock Price Movement -A study on listed Companies in Dhaka Stock Exchange. The Bangladesh Accountant, Quarterly Journal of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Bangladesh (ICAB)
- Miah, M.S., M. Z. Islam N, and A. Amin. (2012). Environmental Reporting: Present Status and Some Suggestive Guidelines for Listed Manufacturing Companies in Bangladesh. The Journal of Cost & Management” in the Institute of Cost & Management Accountants of Bangladesh (ICMAB), Vol. XL, No.6
- Uddin, K. R., M. S. Miah, and N. U. Bhuiyan. (2012). Effluent Treatment Plant: A tool for protecting Environment from Pollution. Journal of Business Studies, Vol. 33, No.2.
Presentations at conferences and seminars:
- Miah, M.S. (2017). Accounting Complexity, Audit fees and Industry Specialization. 2017 AFAANZ, Adelaide, Australia.
- Miah, M.S (2016). Accounting Complexity, Audit fees, and Analyst Forecasts-Australian Perspective. Paper presented at Massey Business School 2016 PhD Symposium, Auckland New Zealand.
- Miah, M.S. (2015). Accounting Complexity, Audit fees, and Analyst Forecasts-Australian Perspective. Paper presented at Massey Business School Annual Doctoral Symposium on 27 August 2015, Palmerstone North, New Zealand.
- Miah, M.S (2014). IFRS Complexity, Audit fees, and Auditor Industry Specialisation Australian Perspective. Paper presented at Mid-year symposium for the Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, jointly organised by the University of Auckland and the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) on July 4 2014, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Miah, M.S (2014). IFRS Complexity and Audit fees. Paper presented at Massey Business School Annual Doctoral Symposium on 12 November 2014, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Awarded the highly competitive “ Massey University Doctoral Scholarship” for 3 years (Total NZD 75000)
- Deans Award for academic excellence in Bachelor program (2008)
- Deans Award for academic excellence in MBA program (2010)