Name: Dr. Marufa Zerin Akhter
Date of birth: 24th September, 1971
Place of birth: Netrokona, Bangladesh
Marital Status: Married
Contact Address: Department of Microbiology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh.
Telephone number: 0088029661900 / extension 7751 (Office); 008801817630976 (Mobile)
e-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Present Employment status: Professor, Department of Microbiology, University of Dhaka. Was promoted in this post on 12th of April, 2015.
- Joined this Department as a lecturer on the 2nd of October, 1997.
- Twenty one years of experience in teaching from 1st year honours to PhD level in the Department of Microbiology, University of Dhaka. Classes taken during this period are as follows:
1st to 4th year: microbial genetics, microbial physiology and metabolism, general microbiology, food microbiology, environmental microbiology, agriculture microbiology, clinical microbiology, applied mycology.
Classes taken at MS and PhD level: bacterial pathogenesis and molecular epidemiology, extremophiles, advanced molecular genetics.
- Experienced in research supervision in clinical microbiology, environmental microbiology and biotechnology at the Masters, M.Phil. and Ph.D. level.
- Obtained PhD degree in 2004 from Department of Biomolecular Sciences, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST), Manchester, UK. PhD research was carried out under The Commonwealth Academic Staff Scholarship.
- Obtained first class second position in M.Sc. examination in 1993 from the Department of Microbiology, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Obtained first class second position in B.Sc. examination in 1992 from the Department of Microbiology, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Obtained Dhaka University Dean’s Award for outstanding result in B.Sc. examination.
Subsidiary Courses Studied at the B.Sc. level:
Scholarships and Awards received:
- Commonwealth Academic Staff Scholarship for Ph.D., 2000.
- Dhaka University Dean’s Award for B.Sc. Honours, 1992.
- Dhaka University Scholarship (Talentpool) for B. Sc. Honours, 1992.
- Dhaka Education Board Scholarship (Talentpool) for H.S.C., 1989.
- Dhaka Education Board Scholarship (Talentpool) for S.S.C., 1987.
- Dhaka Education Board Junior Scholarship (Talentpool), 1985.
Title: Analysis of Phanerochaete chrysosporium gene expression.
The research was on the expression analysis of Xylanase A and Xylanase B genes of the soft rot fungus Phanerochaete chrysosporium by RT-PCR method. Thorough practical knowledge and experiences were gathered on various basic and advanced methods of research on Molecular Biology.
- Isolation of bacteriocin from local strains of Bacillus thuringiensis and B. licheniformis; their characterization and potentiality assessment for local industrial production.
- Virulence gene profiles of multidrug-resistant clinical isolates of bacteria.
- Quality assessment of milk and milk based products from local markets of Dhaka city.
- Isolation of phytase producing fungi from soil; their characterization.
- Feasibility of Enterococcus faecalis and E. faecium as Alternative Water Quality Indicator Bacteria in Bangladesh.
- Microbiological and physicochemical quality analysis of tap water, lakes and rivers in and around Dhaka city.
- Molecular Characterization of Vibrio parahaemolyticus strains isolated from the coastal aquatic environments of Bangladesh.
- Virulence potential of Vibrio parahaemolyticus Strains isolated from estuarine ecosystem: molecular and phylogenetic study.
- Molecular analysis of multi-drug resistant E. coli strains isolated from patients with urinary tract infection. Focus is on the plasmid mediated multi-drug resistance of this organism.
- Shukla Promite, Sajal K. Saha, Sunjukta Ahsan and Marufa Zerin Akhter. 2017. Characterization and Antibiotic Sensitivity Profile of Bacteria Isolated from Patients with Respiratory Tract Infections in Bangladesh. Dhaka Univ. J. Pharm. Sci. 16(2): 235-244.
- Sunjukta Ahsan1, Mayen Uddin, Juthika Mandal and Marufa Zerin Akhter. 2017. Resistance to Azithromycin and b-Lactam Antibiotics by Clinical Isolates of E. coli isolated from Dhaka, Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 34(2): 61-66.
- Jannatun Nayma, Fatema Moni Chowdhury, Sunjukta Ahsan and Marufa Zerin Akhter. 2017. Comparative Evaluation of Thermotolerant Escherichia coli, Enterococci and Total Coliform as Indicators of Water Quality. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 34(1): 7-14.
- Akther F1, Neogi SB1, Chowdhury WB1, Sadique A1, Islam A1, Akhter MZ2, Johura FT1, Ohnishi M3, Watanabe H3, Boucher Y4, Alam M5. 2016. Major tdh(+)Vibrio parahaemolyticus serotype changes temporally in the Bay of Bengal estuary of Bangladesh. Infect Genet Evol. 2016 Jul; 41:153-9. doi: 10.1016/j.meegid.2016.04.003. Epub 2016 Apr 7.
- Anindita Bhowmik, Sunjukta Ahsan, Marufa Zerin Akhter and Md. Shahidul Kabir. 2015. Incidence of b-lactamase producing Escherichia coli amongst clinical isolates in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Stamford Journal of Microbiology. 5(1): 18-21.
- Md. Arafat Al Mamun, Md. Abir Hosain, SoburAhmed, Fatema-Tuj-Zohra, Rajia Sultana, Md. Murad Khan, Marufa Zerin Akhter, Shakila Nargis Khan and Md. Mozammel Hoq. 2015. Development of an Alternative Enzyme-assisted Dehairing Method of Animal Skins using Proteases from Bacillus lichenifurmis MZK05M9. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 32(1 and2): 33-37.
- Md. Nahidul Islam, Nahinur Rahman Akhand, Arafat Al Mamun, Asaduzzaman Shishir, Marufa Zerin Aktar, Shakila Nargis Khan, Md. Mozammel Hoq and Mohammad Shahnoor Hossain. 2015. Screening and Characterization of Bacteriocin-Like Inhibitory Substances Produced by Bangladeshi Strains of Bacillus thuringiensis. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal. 18(2): 149-156.
- Haque FKM and Akhter MZ. Plasmid Profile Analysis of Multi Drug Resistant Escherichia coli and Acinetobacter from Clinical Samples. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science. 20-21 (1-2): 6-12.
- Maisha Maliha Morium, Sunjukta Ahsan, Mohammad Shahidul Kabir, Marufa Zerin Akhter and Md. Faridul Islam. 2014. In vitro biofilm forming ability of clinical isolates of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi and Paratyphi. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 31(1&2): 35-39.
- Juthika Mandal, Marufa Zerin Akhter, Mohammad Shahidul Kabir, Sunjukta Ahsan. Development of a multiplex polymerase chain reaction protocol for the simultaneous detection of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi and Class 1 integron. Asian Pac J Trop Dis. 2014; 4(Suppl 2): S808-S812.
- Sheikh Shahidul Islam, Md. Abdul Malek, A K M Fazlul Haque, Kaisar Ali Talukder, Marufa Zerin Akhter. 2013. Beta Lactamase genes of extended spectrum beta lactamase producing Escherichia coli from anorectal sepsis cases in Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 30(1&2): 23-29.
- Marufa Zerin Akhter and Md. Molin Miah. 2013. Antibiotic sensitivity, ESBL production and prevalence of blaSHV and blaOXA genes in Escherichia coli from urinary tract infection. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 30(1&2): 65-70.
- Alam M, Akhter MZ, Yasmin M, Ahsan CR and Nessa J. 2011. Local bacteriophage isolates showed anti-Escherichia coli O157:H7 potency in an experimental ligated rabbit ileal loop model. Canadian J. Microbiol. 57: 408–415.
- Faruk MO and Akhter MZ. 2011. Presence of Coliforms and Fecal Coliforms in Fast Food Items of Local Restaurants and Fast Food Outlets of Dhaka City. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 28(1): 49-51. (Short communication)
- Zaman MA, Pasha MH and Akhter MZ. 2010. Plasmid Curing of Escherichia coli Cells with Ethidium Bromide, Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate and Acridine Orange. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 27(1): 28-31.
- Munirul Alam, Wasimul B Chowdhury, N. A. Bhuiyan, Atiqul Islam, N. A. Hasan, G. Balakrish Nair, H Watanabe, A. K. Siddique, A Huq, R B. Sack, M. Z. Akhter, Christopher J. Grim, K-M Kam, C. K. Y. Luey, Hubert P. Endtz, Alejandro Cravioto and R. R. Colwell. 2009. Serogroup, virulence, and Genetic Traits of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in the estuarine ecosystem of Bangladesh. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 75(19): 6268-6274.
- Akhter MZ, Roy P and Khalil I. 2008. Microbiological Quality assessment of processing areas in a pharmaceutical industry. Bangladesh J. of Med. Sci 14(1): 57-62.
- Akhter MZ, Khalil I, Roy P and Masud MMI. 2007. Analysis of antibiotic susceptibility of old and fresh ATCC strain of Staphylococcus aureus by standard agar diffusion technique. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 24(2): 137-142.
- Kabir MH, Khan AR, Akhter MZ, Malek MA, Chowdhurty NA and Choudhury N. 2006. Effect of radiation sterilization on the physicochemical properties and microbial load of amoxicillin tri-hydrate powder. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 23(2): 165-167.
- Hossain MJ, Akhter MZ, Hossain A, Nasrin S. 2005. Conjugative transfer of R-plasmids from clinical isolates of multi drug resistant Salmonella enterica serover Typhi to Escherichia coli K-12. Bangladesh J. of Med. Sci 11(2): 127-131.
- Akhter MZ, Hossain A and Khan SN. 2005. Plasmid mediated multi drug resistance of E. coli isolated from urinary tract infection: a preliminary study. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 22(1): 55-58.
- Kabir MH, Khan AR, Akhter MZ, Malek MA, Chowdhury NA and Choudhury N. 2005. Effect of radiation sterilization on the physicochemical properties and microbial load of dexamethasone sodium phosphate powder. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 22(1): 68-71.
- Rahman MA, Akhter MZ, Ahmed H and Alam M. 2003. Multi drug resistance of bacteria isolated from patients with suspected bacteriuria. Bangladesh J. of Med. Sci. 9(2): 102-106.
- Khan SN, Akhter MZ and Sims PFG. 2002. Cloning and expression analysis of two Endo-1,4-b-Xylanase genes from Phanerochaete chrysosporium. Plant Tisue Culture. 12(1): 57-68.
- Dey AB, Gomes DJ, Akhter MZ and Khan SI. 2000. Evaluation of water pollution contributed by effluents from a nitrogenous fertilizer factory. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 17(1): 45-51.
- Akhter MZ and Khan SI. 1999. Prevalence of bacterial indicators and pathogens in locally produced bottled water. Bangladesh J. Microbiol. 16(2): 145-154.