PERSONAL DETAILS :
Name : Choudhury Mahmood Hasan
Father’s Name : Late Justice Md. Abdul Quddus Choudhury
Date of Birth : 31st August, 1953
Sex : Male
Present Status : Professor
Marital Status : Married
Religion : Islam
Nationality : Bangladeshi
Present Address : Dept. of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Faculty of Pharmacy
University of Dhaka
Cell : +8801819-253698
E-mail : email@example.com
Ph.D. : Obtained the degree in 1982 from the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
M.Pharm. : Obtained the degree in 1974 (exam. held in 1976) securing First position in First class from the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
B.Pharm. (Hons) : Obtained the degree in 1973 (exam. held in 1975) securing First position in First class from the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
SCHOLARSHIP / FELLOWSHIP :
Awarded JSPS Fellowship by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science for doing research in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokushima Bunri University, Tokushima, Japan, from 17th November to 16th December, 2004.
Awarded Commonwealth Staff Fellowship by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in U.K. for doing postdoctoral research in the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K. from 1st October, 1990 to 31st July, 1991.
Awarded Commonwealth scholarship by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in U.K. for doing Ph. D. from 1st October, 1978 to 30th September, 1981.
Recipient of Hakim Habibur Rahman Gold Medal 2003 for outstanding contribution in the field of medicinal plants research.
Recipient of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences Gold Medal 2006 in Biological Sciences (senior group) for significant contribution in the field of Plant Products Chemistry.
Recipient of Chandraboty Gold Medal 2007, for outstanding contribution in science.
Recipient of Atish Dipankar Gold Medal 2008 for outstanding contribution in science.
Included in the list of “Leading Scientists and Engineers of OIC Member States” – published in
2008 by COMSTECH (Committee of Scientific and Technological Cooperation, a standing
committee of Organization of Islamic Countries). Names of 381 scientists, of ten disciplines, from
57 OIC member states have been included in that list.
ACADEMIC POSITIONS :
Lecturer : Department of Pharmacy, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, from 28th January, 1978 to 29th June, 1982.
Assistant Professor : Department of Pharmacy, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, from 30th June,1982 to 16th December, 1986.
Associate Professor : Department of Pharmacy, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, from 17th December, 1986 to 11th March, 1992.
Professor : Department of Pharmacy, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, from 12th March, 1992 to till date.
Visiting Professor : Dept. of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Univ. of King Saud, KSA, from 10th October to 7th Nov, 2009.
ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS :
Chairman : Department of Pharmacy, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, from 6th June,1992 to 14th July, 1993.
Director : Directorate of Drug Administration, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, from 15th July, 1993 to 9th January, 1997.
Dean : Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, from 1st October
1999 to 20th December 2003.
Dean (Acting) : Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, from 31st December 2003 to 31st May, 2004.
Chairman : Bangladesh Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (BCSIR), from 11th August, 2005 to 10th August, 2008.
Vice-Chancellor : Manarat International University (MIU), Dhaka, Bangladesh, from 13th October, 2012 to 12th October, 2016.
Teaching : Pharmaceutical Chemistry with special interest in spectroscopy.
Research : Natural Products Chemistry.
1. Carried out a research for about two years (1975-77) as a part of M.Pharm. degree and submitted a dissertation entitled “Search for anticancer agents from plant origin”. Dr. Abdul Jabbar, Emeritus Professor, Department of Pharmacy, University of Dhaka, was the Supervisor. One paper (No.1 in the list of publications) has been published from this work.
2. Carried out a research work for three years (October 1978 to September 1981) during the Ph.D. programme and submitted a thesis entitled “Phytochemical studies on some African Annonaceae”. Professor P.G. Waterman and Dr. T.M.Healey of the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K. were the supervisors. A total of five papers ( No.2,3,4,5 and 8 in the list of publications) have been published from this work.
3. Carried out a research for one year (October 1990 to September 1991) as a Visiting Scientist in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K. and investigated two species of Rutaceae Family. About 40 compounds (Coumarins, Sesquiterpenes, Triterpenes, Glycosides etc.), half of which are novel, were isolated and structures of most of them were elucidated mainly by high field NMR . The research was performed in association with Prof. P.G. Waterman. Two papers (No.49 & 50 in the list of publications) have been published from this work.
4. Carried out a research for one month (November 17 to December 16, 2004) as a senior JSPS Fellow in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokushima Bunri University, Tokushima, Japan. Prof. Dr. Yoshinori Asakawa was the host Professor. Structures of ten compounds (isolated from a Bangladeshi plant Garuga pinnata,) have been elucidated by high field NMR (300 and 600 MHz) (in some case by COSY-45, NOESY, HMBC and HMQC ) of which eight are diaryl hepatnoids and two are terpenoids. Three of the diaryl hepatanoids are first report from natural source and have been published. (No. 138 in the list of publications).
5. Carried out a research for three weeks (June to July 2005 ) as a visiting scientist in the Dept. of Medicinal Chemistry, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia. Dr. Magdy Iskander was the host scientist. Structures of four quinone derivatives (including two new) have been characterized. (No. 139 in the list of publications)
6. Co-supervised the research work of three Ph.D. and two M. Phil. students of University of Dhaka and other universities.. Presently supervising and co-supervising six Ph.D. students of Pharmacy and other departments of Dhaka Univ.
7. Main supervisor and co-supervisor of more than 40 M.Pharm /M.Sc. students during the year 1982 to 2006. These work involved in the isolation, structure elucidation (mainly by spectral methods) and biological (mainly anti-microbial) screening of ranges of secondary metabolites (e.g. alkaloids, terpenoids, coumarins, flavonoids, lignans etc.) from local medicinal plants. Currently supervising and co-supervising 10 M. Pharm./ M. Sc. Students.
8. Director of a UGC (University Grants Commission) financed project entitled “Chemical and Biological investigation of the Annonaceous species of Bangladesh” from July, 1982 to June, 1983.
9. Chief investigator of an IFS (International Foundation for Science, Sweden) project entitled “Chemical and Biological Investigation of the Annonaceous species of Bangladesh” from January, 1987 to 1998.
10. Chief Investigator of a MOSICT (Ministry of Science, Information and Communication Technology, Govt. of Bangladesh), financed project entitled “Anti-diabetic principles from medicinal plants of Bangladesh“ from June 2002-2003, 2005-2006 and 2007-2008.
11. Director, Biomedical Research Centre, University of Dhaka, from 23 September, 2004 to august 2005.
12. Main author and co-authors of 236 papers published (including those accepted for publication) in peer-reviewed scientific journals. Of these 128 are included in the database of ISI-web of knowledge.
SEMINARS / SYMPOSIA :
1.Presented a lecture co-chaired a scientific session in the “International Symposium on Natural Products for the Future 2016” jointly organized by the Phytochemical Society of Asia and Natural Product Communications, held at Tokushima Bunri University, Tokushima, Japan from 1-4th September, 2016.
2. Presented a lecture as Guest Speaker in the Discovery and Developmental Therapeutics (DDT) Program, organized by Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, on 25th July, 2016.
3.Presented a lecture on the “New and interesting compounds from Bangladeshi medicinal plants” in a seminar organized by the Dept. of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore (NSU) on 10th May, 2016.
4. Presented a Key Note Lecture and Chaired a scientific session in the “International conference on biodiversity and Bioactive Natural Products for Human welfare (BioNat-2016)” held in Karur, Tamilnadu, India, from 10-12 February, 2016.
5. Presented a Lecture in a seminar on the chemistry of Bangladeshi medicinal plants organized by Centre of Natural Products and Drug Discovery, Dept. of Chemistry, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 5th November, 2015.
6. Conducted a workshop on “Fundamentals of Structure Elucidation by NMR Spectroscopy” organized by Faculty of Pharmacy, Int. Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM), Kuantan, Malaysia, from 2-3 November, 2015,
7. Presented a key note speech on the chemistry of Bangladeshi medicinal plants in the International conference Innopharm 1, held at Bhopal, MP, India, from 10-11 October, 2015.
8. Presented an invited talk in the international conference entitled “Harnessing the sub-Himalayan Plant Diversity for Human Welfare” held at Dibrugahr University , Assam, India from 11-13 March 2015.
9..Presented an invited lecture in “International conference on Medicinal Plants and Herbal drugs for Human Welfare (ICMP-2015)” held at Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India, from 28-30 January,2015.
10. Presented a paper entitled ”Bangladeshi medicinal plants : a rich source of chemical diversity” in seminar organized by the Dept. of Pharmacology, Cambridge University, UK., on 19th September, 2014.
11. Attended and chaired a scientific session in the 14th Asian Symposium on Medicinal Plants and Spices and other Natural Products (ASOMPS) held at Karachi, Pakistan from 9-12 December, 2013.
12. Presented a paper entitled “Development of active pharmaceutical ingredients for medicine” in the Meeting on Experts on Demonstration Project organized by WHO/SEARO at New Delhi, India from 25-26 October, 2013.
13. Presented a country report as Temporary advisor in the Meeting of Experts for developing a Strategic Work Plan as follow-up of Consultative Expert Working Group (CEWG) on Research and Coordination organized by WHO/SEARO at Bangkok, Thailand from 25-26 July, 2013.
14. Attended the 20th Annual Convention of Bangladeshi American Pharmacist’s Association (BAPA), held at New Jersey, USA from 23-25 August, 2013.
15. Presented a paper entitled “Bangladeshi medicinal plants : a rich source of chemical diversity” in a seminar organized by the Dept. of Pharmacology, Univ. of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 16th April, 2013.
16. Presented a paper entitled “Bangladeshi medicinal plants : a rich source of chemical diversity” in a seminar organized by Faculty of Pharmacy, International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM), Kuantan, Malaysia on 18th April, 2013
17. Delivered a talk entitled “Bangladeshi medicinal plants : a rich source of chemical diversity” organized by the Institute of Pharmaceutical Science, King’s College London, UK on 5th March, 2013.
18. Attended as special guest in the 20th Annual Convention of Bangladeshi-American Pharmacist’s Association (BAPA) held at New Jersey, USA, from 24-26 August, 2012.
19. Participated and presented country paper in the Regional Technical Consultation on the Report of the Consultative Expert Working Group on R&D : Financing and Coordination, organized by regional office for South-East Asia (SEARO) World Health Organization, held at Bangkok, Thailand, from 15-17 august, 2012.
20. Presented a lecture “New and interesting compounds from Bangladeshi medicinal plants and biological activities of some of them“ in a symposium “Medicinal Plants and Their Therapeutic Effects” held in Beni Suef University, Beni Suef, Egypt, from 7-8 April, 2010.
21. Presented a lecture entitled “Bioactive molecule form Bangladeshi medicinal plants and microbes” in a seminar organized by the Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, King Saud University, KSA , on 24th October, 2009 .
22. Chaired a scientific session and presented an invited lecture in the “Bandung International Conference on Medicinal Chemistry”, held in Bandung, Indonesia, from 6-8 August, 2009.
23. Presented an plenary lecture and chaired a plenary session in the International Conference on “ Herbal Medicine – Evaluation of Quality , Efficacy and Safety “ , held in Bangalore, India, from 26-28 February, 2009.
24. Participated in the Regional Meeting on the Role of Education in Rational Use of Medicine, held in Bangkok, Thailand from 12-14 December, 2007.
25. Presented an invited lecture, Chaired a session and Plenary discussants in the International 4orkshop on “Herbal Medicinal Plants and Traditional Herb Remedies” held in Hanoi, Vietnam from 20-21 September, 2007
26. Attended in the WIPO Asia Sub-regional Seminar on the Role of IP in the effective Functioning of Technology Management Offices, held in Colombo, Sri Lanka, from 1-2 August, 2006.
27. Participated in the Senior Management Programme on Managing Research and Technological Organizations (RTOs) , held in Shah Alam , Selangor, Malaysia from 16-22 July, 2006.
28. Participated in a workshop entitled “Evidence, Policy and Advocacy on medicine prices” held in Kandy, Sri Lanka, from 13-16 June, 2006.
29. Presented a plenary lecture in the 2nd International ETV Forum entitled “Environmentally Sound Verification- Harmonizing international Approaches to Performance Verification” held in Vancouver , Canada, on 28th March, 2006.
30. Attended WIPO Asia Pacific Regional seminar on the role of intellectual property institutions in promoting innovation in developing countries held in Daejeon, Republic of Korea, from 22-24 November, 2005.
31. Attended and presented an invited lecture on “New and interesting compounds from Bangladeshi medicinal plants“ in the International Science Congress held in Kula Lumpur. Malaysia, from 3-6 August, 2005.
32. Presented a lecture in a seminar organized by the Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia on 29th June, 2005.
33. Presented a lecture in a seminar organized by the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Science, Tokushima Bunri University, Tokushima , Japan on 10th December, 2004.
34. Co-chaired a Parallel Plenary Session and presented an Invited Lecture entitled “New and interesting compounds from some medicinal plants of Bangladesh” in the ‘9th International Symposium on Natural Products Chemistry’ held at Karachi, Pakistan, from 10-13 January, 2004.
35. Attended the 63rd International Congress of FIP (International Pharmaceutical Federation) held in Sydney, Australia from 4-9 September, 2003.
36. Attended and presented a poster in the ‘ 30th World Congress on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants for Human Welfare (WOCMAP III)’ , held at Chiang Mai, Thailand, from 3-7 February, 2003.
37. Attended the ‘50th Annual Congress of the Society for Medicinal Plant Research’ held at Barcelona, Spain , from 7-12 September, 2002.
38. Presented a lecture entitled "Chemistry and Biological studies on some Bangladeshi medicinal plants" in a seminar organized by the Department of Pharmacy, King's College London, United Kingdom, on January 9, 2002.
39. Presented a Plenary Lecture in the 'International Seminar on Natural Products Chemistry and Utilization of Natural Resources' held at Depok, Indonesia, from 5-7 June, 2001.
40. Co-chaired a session and presented an Invited Lecture in the ASOMPS X held at Dhaka, Bangladesh from 18-23 November, 2000.
41. Presented an invited lecture entitled “Chemistry and antimicrobial activities of some medicinal plants of Bangladesh “ in the 6th International Symposium on Pharmaceutical Sciences (ISOPS-6) held at Ankara, Turkey from 27-29 June, 2000.
42. Co-chaired a Parallel Plenary Session and also presented an Invited Lecture in the ‘8th International Symposium on Natural Products Chemistry’ held at Karachi, Pakistan, from 18-22 January, 2000.
43. Presented a poster entitled "Alkaloids from the stem bark of Milusa velutina" in the international conference ' 2000 Years of Natural Products Research - Past, Present and Future-' , held at Amsterdam, The Netherlands, from 26-30 July, 1999.
44. Attended the ‘7th International Symposium on Natural Products Chemistry ‘ held at Karachi, Pakistan from 28th December 1997 to 1st January l998.
45. Presented a Megistral Lecture on " Chemical and biological studies on the annonaceous species of Bangladesh " in the ' II International Congress on Annonaceae' held at Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, Mexico from 26-28 October, 1999.
46. Participated in a training course on “Adverse Reactions and Adverse Reaction Monitoring” held at WHO Collaborating Centre for International Drugs Monitoring, Uppsala, Sweden from 20-31 May, 1996.
47. Participated in a training course on “Sub-Regional Training on Needs Assessment and Policy Development” held at Penang, Malaysia from 29 April to 9 May, 1996.
48. Presented a paper entitled ‘Drug Policy of Bangladesh and Its Impact on Pharmaceutical Industry’ in the International Conference on National Medicinal Drug Policies held at Sydney, Australia from 8-11 October, 1995.
49. Attended the ‘6th Commonwealth Pharmaceutical Association Conference’ held at Harare, Zimbabwe, from 24-28 April, 1995.
50. Attended as a Temporary Adviser in the ‘WHO Bi- Regional Meeting on Technical Co-operation Among Developing Countries in the Area of Essential Drugs’ held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from 15-17 December, 1994.
51. Attended as a guest speaker in the ‘3rd Annual Conventional of Bangladesh American Pharmacists Association (BAPA)’ held at Connecticut, U.S.A. from 13-14 August, 1994.
52. Attended the ‘7th International Conference of Drug Regulatory Authorities’ held at Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands from 18-22 April, 1994.
53. Presented a poster in the ‘ 19th IUPAC symposium on the Chemistry of Natural Products’ held at Karachi, Pakistan from 16-20 January, 1994
54. Presented a paper in the ‘International Seminar and Workshop on the Taxonomy and Phytochemistry of the Annonaceae and Simaroubaceae’ held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from 15-17 November, 1993.
55. Attended the ‘International Conference on Pain’ held at Delhi, India, from 8-10 October, 1993.
56. Attended as a guest speaker in the ‘2nd Annual Convention of Bangladesh American Pharmacists Association (BAPA)’ held at Pennsylvania, USA, from 21-22 August, 1993.
57. Chaired a scientific session on ‘Plant products for health care’ and also presented a paper in the ‘International Conference on the use of Traditional Medicine and Other Natural in Health Care’ held at Penang, Malaysia, from 8-11 June, 1993.
58. Presented a lecture entitled ‘Coumarins, Sesquiterpenes and Triterpenes form a Microcybe species’ in a seminar organized by the Department of Chemistry, University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany, on 10th September, 1991.
59. Participated in the ISNPC International Symposium ‘Natural Product Chemistry’ held at Kathmandu, Nepal, from 12-15 February, 1990.
60. Presented a paper orally in the ‘17th IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) International Symposium on the Chemistry of Natural Products’, held at New Delhi, India from 4-9 February, 1990.
61. Attended the ‘4th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress’ held at Bombay, India, from 15-18 December, 1989.
62. Delivered a lecture entitled ‘Chemical and Biological Studies on some Bangladeshi Medicinal Plants’ in a seminar organized by the Department of Botany, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 1st February, 1989.
63. Participated in an International Workshop on ‘Isolation and Structure Elucidation of Natural Products using Spectroscopic Techniques’ held at Karachi, Pakistan from 10-16 January, 1987.
ACADEMIC ACCESSORS :
1. For the promotion of Professor in the University Science Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia.
2. For the promotion of Professor and Associate Prof. in King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. In 2012 and 2013 respectively.
3. For the promotion of Associate Professor in Dubai College of Pharmacy, UAE.(2012)
4. For the promotion of Associate Prof, in the Faculty of Pharmacy, IIUM, Malaysia (2014)
5. For the promotion of Prof, in the Faculty of Pharmacy, IIUM, Malaysia (2015)
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES/COMMITTIES :
1. Member (elected) of the Executive Committee of Dhaka University Teacher’s Association (DUTA) from 1984-85 (one year).
2. Member (elected) of the Senate of Dhaka University from 1985-88 (Three years) and again from 2002 to 2006.
3. Member (elected) of the Executive Committee (1982 to 1984), General Secretary for two terms (1984-86), Vice President for two terms (1987-88) and President (1989) of Pharmacy Graduates Association (PGA).
4. Member (elected) of the Central Executive Council (1986-88), Finance Secretary (1988-90), Vice- President (from 1992 to l997) of Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Society (BPS).
5. Member of the Pharmacy Council of Bangladesh from June 1992 to January 1997 , January 2003 to May 2004 and 22nd October, 2006 to till date.
6. Chairman of the Accreditation Committee, a subcommittee of Pharmacy Council, from 1994 to 1998 and from March 2003 to till date.
7. Member of Drug Control Committee (highest body, formed by 1982 Drug Ordinance, for the recommendation of registration of new drugs in Bangladesh) from June 1992 to January 1997.
8. Member of Drug Appellate Committee from July 1993 to January 1997 and again from April 2002 to 2007.
9. Member, Bangladesh Accreditation Board (BAB) fro 22nd February, 2007 to till date. Vice-Chairman, BAB from February 2009 to till date.
10. President of the Association of Testing Laboratories, Bangladesh (ATLB), from 8th November, 2006 to August 2008.
11. Member of the American Society of Pharmacognosy (ASP).
12. Member of the American Chemical Society (ACS).
13.Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry, UK (RSC).
14. Fellow of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences (BAS).
EDITORIAL POSITION :
Executive Editor (1988-91) and Editor-in-Chief (1992-2001), member of the Editorial Board (2001 to till date) of the Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal, a bi-annual journal of Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Society. Member of the Editorial Board (2001 to till date) of Dhaka Univ. J. of Pharm.. Sci. a bi-annual journal of the Faculty of Pharmacy, Univ. of Dhaka. Chairman (2005 to 2008).Editorial Board, Bangladesh J. Sci .Ind .Res., a quarterly journal of Bangladesh Council of Scientific and Industrial Research.
REVIEWER OF INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS :
Food and Chemical Toxicology, European J. Med. Chemistry, Fitoterapia, Pharmaceutical Biology, Natural Product Research, Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine, Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, Latin American J. Pharmacy, Journal of Chemistry, Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology.
COUNTRIES VISITED :
United Kingdom (UK), The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Vatican City, Spain, Sweden, United States of America (USA), Canada, Mexico, Japan, Australia, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain, Qatar, Egypt, Turkey, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia, China (including Hong Kong), India, Nepal, Iran, Thailand, Pakistan, Singapore, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Kenya and Zimbabwe.