Details of Dr. Abu Hena Md. Zulfiquar Ali
NAME: Dr. A.H.M. Zulfiquar Ali
Mother’s Name: Mrs. Hasna Hena
Father`s Name: Late Md. Hazrat Ali
Department of Soil, Water & Environment
University of Dhaka, Curzon Hall, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh
Phone: 9661920-59 (Ext.7498, Off)
173 Malibagh (east),
1st Lane 1st Floor
PhD – Plant & Soil Science (Soil Physics ) - 1999, University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK.
M.Sc. (Thesis group) – First Class - 1988 (held in 1991), Dept. of Soil Science, University of Dhaka.
B. Sc (Honours)- First Class-1987(held in 1989), Deans Award, Dept. of Soil Science, University of Dhaka.
H.S.C-First Division-1984, Notre Dame College, Dhaka.
S.S.C.-First Division-1982, Ideal High School, Dhaka.
- Professor, Department of Soil, Water & Environment University of Dhaka, From 10th June 2012 till date.
- Associate Professor, Department of Soil, Water & Environment University of Dhaka, From 13th June 2007 to 9th June 2012.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Soil, Water & Environment, University of Dhaka, From 22nd April 2002 to 12th June 2007.
- Assistant Professor, Soil Science Discipline, Khulna University From 13th December 2000 – 21st April 2002.
- Contract-Basis Teacher, Soil Science Discipline, Khulna University, From 2nd May.2000 – 12th December.2000
- Scientific Officer, Soil Resources Dev. Institute, Govt. of Bangladesh, Dhaka (From 25th May 1994 – 18th October 1994)
- Soil Scientist, Bangladesh Engineering and Technological Services (BETS), Dhaka ( From 7th February 2000- 30th April 2000)
- Assistantship, Plant & Soil Science Department, University of Aberdeen, UK. (Sessions 1996-1997 & 1997-1998)
- Visiting Research Fellow, Japan International Research Centre for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS), Okinawa, Japan (From May 2006 to April 2007).
Fellowship: “EFFECTS OF IRRIGATION TIME AND WATERED PLASTIC BOTTLE ON VEGETABLE CROPS” from May 1,2006 to April 30, 2007 under the auspices of the JIRCAS Visiting Research Fellowship Program 2006 at Okinawa sponsored by the Japan International Research Centre for Agricultural Sciences. Counterpart: Dr. K. Ozawa.
PhD Thesis: “THE EFFECTS OF SOIL PHYSICAL CONDITIONS ON THE GROWTH OF RICE SEEDLINGS.” This research work was done under the supervision of Dr. Chris E. Mullins, Plant & Soil Science Department, University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK, June 1999.
MSc Thesis: “EFFECTS OF SOIL SALINITY ON THE GROWTH AND MINERAL COMPOSITION OF FODDER CROPS.” This research was done under the joint supervision of Prof. Dr. I.U. Ahmed and Prof. Dr. M.M.Rahman, Department of Soil Science, University of Dhaka, 1993.
FIELD OF RESEARCH
- SOIL PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
- WATER SAVING TECHNIQUES; DAY AND NIGHT TIME IRRIGATION
- MINIMUM SAFE DISTANCE BETWEEN GROUNDWATER BASED WATER POINT AND PIT LATRINE
- BIOREMEDIATION; C-DYNAMICS
- Sub-surface drip irrigation and growth and yield of vegetable crops- Centre for Advanced Studies and Research in Biological Sciences, University of Dhaka Project, Jointly by Prof. M.K. Rahman and Dr. A.H.M. Z. Ali, Financial Year: 2004-2005.
- Soil Physical Conditions and Yield Performance of Vegetable Crops under Drip Irrigation. Centre for Advanced Studies and Research in Biological Sciences, University of Dhaka Project, Jointly by Dr. A.H.M. Z. Ali and Prof. M.K. Rahman. Financial Year: 2008-2009.
- Establishment of minimum safe distance between groundwater based water point and pit latrine at different hydo-geological conditions of Bangladesh-Jointly by ICDDR, B, VERC and Water Aid Bangladesh. Financial Year: 2008-2009.
- Study on water resources management and climate change impact on increase in temperature and C-dynamics in soils. Ministry of Science and Information & Communication Technology, Govt. of Bangladesh. Financial Year: 2010-2011.
- Shaikh Motasim Billah, Assistant Professor, Soil Science Discipline, Khulna University, Session: 2010-2011.PhD Research Title: IMPACTS OF EFFLUENTS AND WASTES OF SHRIMP PROCESSING INDUSTRIES ON SOIL AND WATER ENVIRONMENT IN AND AROUND KHULNA CITY.
- Md. Alauddin: Session: 2013-2014, Lecturer, Soil Science Dept., Char Fashion Govt. College, Barisal. Effects of NPK and cowdung on Growth, Yield and Oil Content of Sunflower.
- Tabassum Ferdous: Session: 2013-2014, Effects of kitchen waste compost and chemical fertilizer on the growth, yield and quality of tomato ( Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.).
RECENT PUBLICATIONS (Important Publications)
- A.H.M.Z.Ali, M.A.Islam and M.K.Rahman. 2011 (June). Micronutrient status of some soils of Rangpur district in Bangladesh and their relation with soil organic matter and clay contents. J. Asiatic Soc. Bangladesh, Sci. 37(1): 81-85.
- A.H.M.Z.Ali. 2011 (Jan). Effects of irradiance and penetration resistance on root and shoot growth of rice. Dhaka Univ. J. Biol. Sci. 20 (1): 65-70.
- A.H.M.Z.Ali, M.N.Hasan, K.K.Adhikary, R.Jahan and M. Rahmatullah. 2009 (July). Accumulation of arsenic in some winter vegetables of Bangladesh when irrigated with arsenic contaminated ground water. Dhaka Univ. J. Biol. Sci. 18(2): 201-206.
- A.H.M.Zulfiquar Ali and K.Ozawa. 2007. Use of watered plastic bottle to change in soil temperature-A new approach. Japanese J. of Tropical Agriculture. 51:85-86.
- A.S.Chamon, M.M.Rahman, M.N. Mondol, Z.Ali and S.U. Ahmed. 2006 (Dec). Influence of plant residue compost and ash on growth , yield, mineral nutrition and quality of Chinese cabbage and tomato. Bangladesh J. Agric. and Environ. 2(2): 33-42.
- Mohammed Rahmatullah, M. Nazmul Hasan, M. Aminur Rahman, A. H. M. Zulfiquar Ali, Nusratun Nahar, Rownak Jahan, Mst. Afsana Khatun, Rasheda Ahmed, Shamima Ahsan and Dilruba Nasrin. 2010. School Children’s intellectual function when exposed to drinking water containing arsenic at Madartola (an arsenic affected area) in Bangladesh. Advances in Environmental Biology. 4(2): 172-177.
- A.H.M.Z. Ali, C. E. Mullins, J. Townend and A. R. Berg. 2010. .Effects of temperature and mechanical impedance on root growth, cell flux and lateral initiation in rice (Oryza sativa): the role of environmental cues in root development. Physiol. Ecol. & Environ. Sci. 1 (1&2): 47-56.
- A.H.M.Z.Ali, M.A.Islam and M.K.Rahman. 2010. Physical and chemical properties of soils in maize growing areas of five upazilas in Rangpur district of Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Soil Sci. 36 (1-2):81-85.
- Mohammed Rahmatullah, Keshob K. Adhikary, Tahera Sultana, A. H. M. Z. Ali, M. Aftab Uddin, A. B. M. Faroque, M. Selim Rahman and R. Jahan. 2006 (April). Food additives and food colors- A Bangladesh perspective. UODA Studies. 2(1): 79-194.
- A.H.M.Z.Ali. 2010 (July). Effect of mechanical impedance on root and shoot growth of rice at time intervals. Dhaka Univ. J. Biol. Sci. 19 (2): 119-128.
- Mohammed Rahmatullah, Sumaiyah Kanij Hasan, Zulfiquar Ali, Shahnaz Rahman, Rownak Jahan. 2012 (Feb). Antihyperglycemic and antinociceptive activities of methanolic extract of Euphorbia thymifolia L. whole plants. Journal of Chinese Integrative medicine. 10 (2): 228-232.
- Shawan Mazumder, Md. Abu Naser Khan, Md. Faruque Hossain, A.H.M. Zulfiquar Ali and Md. Khalilur Rahman. 2016 (Dec). Effects of liming on growth, biomass production and nutrient content of Albizia Procera seedling grown in acid soil. Bangladesh J. Sci. Res. 29(2): 177-181.
- A.H.M. Zulfiquar Ali and K.Ozawa. 2014. A new technique placing white painted water-filled polyethylene bottles on soil surface beside plant bases to reduce high soil temperature damage. (Submitted to Japanese Journal of Tropical Agriculture).
- M Sirajul Islam, Zahid Hayat Mahmud. M. Shafiqul Islam, Ganesh Chandra Saha, Anwar Zahid, AHM Zulfiquar Ali, M. Qumrul Hassan, Khairul Islam, Hasin Jahan, Yukub Hossain, M. Masud Hasan, Sandy Cairncross, Richard Carter, Stephen P. Luby, Alejandro Cravioto, Hubert Ph. Endtz, Shah M. Faruque and John D. Clemens. 2016. Safe distances between groundwater –based water wells and pit latrines at different hydrogeological conditions in the Ganges Atrai floodplains of Bangladesh. Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition. 35:26.
- P. Ravenscroft, , Z. H. Mahmud. M. Shafiqul Islam, A.K.M.Z. Hossain, A. Zahid, G. C. Saha, AHM Zulfiquar Ali, Khairul Islam, S. Cairncross, J. D. Clemens, M Sirajul Islam. 2017. The public health significance of latrines discharging to groundwater used for drinking. Water Research. 124:192-201.